- Reaction score
This is going to be a long post. So, when I first started my 3.5 gallon tank, I just dumped in some API quick start and thought, ‘hey it’ll cycle in like, two days.’ So, about two days after that, I went out and bought my Betta and my mystery snail. (I know everyone who’s reading this is probably screaming at me, “That’s not how to cycle a tank!”, but, it is now cycled, and I have learned how to PROPERLY cycle a tank.) So, I plopped in my mystery snail, plopped in my Betta, and waited about an hour for them to get used to the tank. Then I dropped in one of the API algae wafers that I had purchased. The snail devoured part of it, and then left it alone. My snail was okay for a while, then I noticed that he was being kind of sluggish. He stopped moving for a while. I left the room, and came back about an hour later to find him in a different position. This happened about five times. The next day when I woke up, my snail was floating. I gently poked it, and he went back into his shell. I was kinda scared so I just left him. I came back later that day to find him still floating. I poked him again, no movement. I pushed him around a little bit. No movement. I assumed he was dead, and brought him back to Petsmart for a refund, and bought a ghost shrimp. (Who died just about two days ago, he was going downhill for a while.) And now I’ve been wondering, should I attempt another snail? Was it the algae wafers which killed him? Was it ammonia poisoning? I’ll include a picture of the ingredients in the algae wafers.Any ideas on how he died are appreciated! And another quick question, if I DO get another mystery snail, would I still feed him these? Or should I just feed him veggies?