Mysterious Moss

matija

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have some kind of dark moss i tryed to identify it but i could pls tell me if it is good for shrimp or just to throw it and buy java moss
1525868212141-1525983000.jpg
1525868212141-1525983000.jpg
1525868281955-258430655.jpg

And tell me what is that brown stuff on it and why it doesnt grow

Aqua Hands

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
its java moss thats either dying or growing. I have no idea how someone could kill java moss because its basically bullet proof.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
It looks like there might be some subwassertang or pelia or something also. Any pics underwater?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I got shipped a batch of subwassertang a while back and a lot of it was brown (it's similar to pelia I think) and some of the brown parts recovered after a few months, 2-3, some never recovered but had some really nice green growth. I don't use ferts or anything either, and I have a really low dinky sort of light, so it should bounce back if it's new. If it isn't, do you happen to dose with flourish Excel?

matija

Valued Member
Reaction score
i got it from lfs
i has some green parts but in middle is mostly brown
but my question is does this plant grow like java moss and does shrimp live on it like they would on javamoss

when i got it it was all green

and when i put it in my tank it was brown(probably because i didnt have lightz)

and later it started to green up

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If it started to green up later it's probably fine.
Yes, it does grow similar to java moss, and shrimp like it just like java moss.
I actually have both in my shrimp tank and my shrimp are on the pelia more than the java moss

matija

Valued Member
Reaction score
and this moss is strange some parts are like christmass moss and some parts are like pelia

this is most similar picture to what i have

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
It's likely a mix of them, to be honest. The issue I have with having both in my tank is that they grow together and onto each other. That basically makes it look like a weird mix, but it can't be easily pulled apart since the java moss anchored to the subwassertang and the subwassertang anchored to the java moss. You probably just ended up with a mix of both

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Mine has anchored to everything from other plants to gravel to PVC pipes... my tank is too small for so much

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom