Help Mysterious Goldfish Eye Problem! Disease? Injury?

kleerp

Reaction score
HI all - I’m coming here after going to every LFS and talking to every medicine company I could and after 2 months still am not having luck. So I thought I’d ask here…

Firstly - water parameters and ph have been fine - right where they should be. (except currently the tank is mini-cycling after a round of antibiotics but I’m dosing with Prime while that happens).

He’s a 5-6 inch goldfish living by himself in a 55 gallon tank with 2 aqua clear hobs, a heater, and air pump.

About 2+ months ago my Goldfish’s eye started getting a little cloudy in the middle on and off. It would be there one day - gone the next.

Then, around a month and a half ago it just turned white. Not like cloudy - like solid white for the most part. It seems to look different every day. After a while he started having some white slime looking stuff hanging around his mouth or on his face area. Can the eye fill with slime coat?

Anyways - I was treating naturally at first with salt and making sure the water is good and upping the temperature a little bit.

But one day his eye was red (my guess blood?) so I treated with Kanaplex (only antibiotic I had on hand and one that had been recommended to me) immediately. The red was gone by morning and I continued the Kanaplex for 2 full courses of treatment. So that took care of whatever got infected, but not the problem itself.

After that I tried doing API Fungus Cure - but that didn’t seem to have any effect. After that, at the advice of API, I did a round of E.M. Erythromycin and API Fin & Body Cure (doxycycline hyclate) at the same time. It’s been a few days since that was over and the carbon went back in.

Using a bit of Seachem Stress Guard right now in case there’s an open wound, but I’m sort of out of ideas of what to do next and what the heck is wrong in the first place.

I’d appreciate any insight if this rings a bell with anyone.
Thank you very much.

comboX6.jpg

CaptainAquatics

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have never heard of that happening. That is very odd. Your sure the water parameters were good and there was nothing he could I just himself on? Maybe it was stress from the medication? I don’t know hope you find out. Sorry I can’t help more

OP
kleerp

kleerp

Reaction score
CaptainAquatics said:
I have never heard of that happening. That is very odd. Your sure the water parameters were good and there was nothing he could I just himself on? Maybe it was stress from the medication? I don’t know hope you find out. Sorry I can’t help more
Yea the parameters were good - I keep on top of those all the time to make sure things are good in there. I thought maybe he somehow cut his eye on the one hard decoration in there, a cave, so I took it out just in case.
It's a mystery~

New Threads