Mysterious goldfish contagious dropsy, in healthy aquarium.

NevermindIgnoreMe

So this will be long... Ok. This is very hard for me to talk about as it was the death of all my fish and it was horrible to watch. First some backround, I keep goldfish, some in my basement (comets) and some in my room. The room tank is a cycled twenty gallon with good filtration and aeration which used to contain my four 12 month old butterfly telescope goldfish. I did consistant weekly water changes, and fed omega one pellets and lettuce, I only fed once every other day for pellets and lettuce is available most of the time otherwise. The water parameters are kept in check and I test regularly. They were all heathly, perfect fish, until the runt of the group started having black spots appear, a weird purple gleam at the top on his side, then balance issues and lethargy, and the next day dropsy, and he died that evening. No warning. I tried treating him in a bucket with an airstone and Epsom salt. I am well aware drops in goldfish is very rarely curable, but still I was not ready for him to pass away so suddenly with no reason. Over the next months I lost the remainder of my butterflies in the same fashion. I didn't add any new fish to that tank, and I quarantined them when they were new, they have never had any issues before this. The only health problem I had before this is one fish had an ulcer on his tummy which I treated with a hydrogen peroxide swipe and it went away, but came back twice, and I treated the same way and it went away. I have never heard of any contagious dropsy before, especially with these odd syptoms, and in perfect water with 0 ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. I looked at getting a necropsy but it was going to be to expensive, and with no guarantee for results, I decided against it.

I do my best to help my fish have good lives, and care for them the best I can. I love pure goldfish and even ask questions to be sure I am doing the right things for my fish. I love them dearly, and most people don't understand my adoration, let alone why I was so upset when they died. This wasn't a cliche newbie mistake like forgetting to cycle the tank, or lack of quarantine or overfeeding, I have no idea what causes this contagious dropsy, or how they got it.
Any ideas guys?

-heartbroken and confused

P.S. I was studying a bit of brown diatom, and some white stuff growing on my theater's suction cups, from my tank under a microscope and noticed some weird transparent worms wiggling around in them. Is this related to the dropsy perhaps? Is it a normal algae eating organism that inhabits every tank?

MissNoodle

Id probably say complications from stunting in smaller tanks. Goldfish need larger than 20g. 30 gallon mayyy be fine for a single small fancy but theyre social, so...

Generally, best go 75 gallon and up to allow good social needs and proper growing space.

NevermindIgnoreMe

I am tired of tank size arguing. Just know for these fish I was cycling a 50 gal to move them to but they dropsyed before I had the chance. Also the parameters were 0 ammonia and nitrite.

I am done with this. No one has given me the vaguest answer. No offense. I have asked other ppl. But no one seems to have any idea, professional or just experienced goldfish keepers or otherwise. So ignore this bc I'm new to this site, and don't know how to delete it the thread.

MissNoodle

O...kay?

So telling you the likely cause of the issue doesn't make you happy. Sorry, its not what you want to hear, but sometimes that's what we need to hear.

Dropsy is an issue of organs and fluids swelling. Its been discussed on another post on here that stunting stops the body growth but not organ growth.
Sorry, but that's how it is.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
NevermindIgnoreMe
Replies
Views
BananaBean
Replies
Views
jtjgg
Replies