Mysterious Fish ??

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Sophia Jones, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Sophia JonesNew MemberMember

I don’t know a single thing about fish but I came across a weird looking creature while taking my dog to the park this morning and I just had to find out more about it. This little guy was chilling out in a shallow, freshwater creek in st.louis Missouri. Help!

Attached Files:

2. bryangar

bryangarWell Known MemberMember

Alligator gar?

3. Demeter

DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Pretty sure that’s a gar. They’ve got lots of teeth but are on most fisherman’s hit list. I hear they’re pretty tasty.

4. Jessica J

Jessica JValued MemberMember

Thats a gar for sure. Seen a lot in a pond i fished in growing up. They eat other fish and are full of teeth like a alligator hence the name alligator gar. Ive seen them as long as the john boat i was in to little baby ones. Nothing big enough in the waters around here to eat them so they over populate the ponds and rivers and nothing bites when they come around all the bream and bass hide. They can live on land for hours and have a hard armor like scales and you can eat them but they have tough muscular meat and taste like mud like a turtle if you have ever tried that. They are hard to catch once they get big as they break your line easy or come unhooked because they dont eat the bait right away they grab it and sink to the bottom before they try to eat it, my granddad fished for them to help keep the population down in a lake we fished in, it took patience to set the hook and then practice to pull just hard enough to keep them off the bottom and from rolling and cutting the line he would say. Had to use the .22 rifle to shoot them before putting them in the boat. Sorry that sounds mean but like i said they eat anything that they can get in their mouth even each other.sorry for the long post it just brought back memories of when me and my granddad would go fishing, and i miss him so much, he was my best friend and more of a dad than a granddad. Havent really been fishing but maybe once since he passed away.well now I done got all emotional lol sorry bout that.

5. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

It is a Gar, but definitely NOT an Alligator Gar. They have a much broader snout than other Gars. That appears to be a Short Nose Gar.

6. OP
    OP
    S

Sophia JonesNew MemberMember

That’s such a sweet story,, I’m so glad I could help take you through memory lane with this post. Have a wonderful night and thank you so much for the help!

7. AquaticJ

AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

Yup, Short Nose. By the way, Alligator Gar are named that not because of the teeth, but because of the width of their snout. We have a 2 foot Alligator Gar at my store with clear signs NOT to put your hands into the tank (400 gallons). Well, a few weeks ago a 10 year decided to put his hand right in front of it’s face in the water, and got a nice bloody hand. Lucky he didn’t take a finger with him.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice