Mysterious Fish Deaths?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by FlipFlopFishFlake, Apr 14, 2018.

1. FlipFlopFishFlakeWell Known MemberMember

I have a 46 gallon planted tank, and recently I have had two of my hatchetfish pass away for no reason. The first death was a few weeks back, one day I came home to observe one of my common hatchetfish dead on the filter intake of my aquaclear 70. I tested the water, and all of the parameters were fine. I shrugged it off and just attributed it to the fact that my tank had just gotten over an ich outbreak, and it was a newer fish as well. Fast forward a few weeks, and just recently I went to the store to pick up some honey gouramis. When I came back, there was a second hatchetfish dead, on the filter outake once more! I took out the fish and observed him, he had nothing wrong with him physically at all. I tested the parameters, and they were all perfect! I am really nervous now as I just added the honey gouramis, and I don't want them, or my other hatchetfish, to die.

Here is the info about the tank
    75 degrees farenheit
    0 ammonia
    0 nitrite
    10 ppm nitrate
    I have an aquaclear 70 and an aquaclear 30 running currently
    The stocking is 8 (now 6) common hatchetfish, 1 bolivian ram, 4 guppies, 3 honey gouramis, and one bn pleco.

Does anyone know why this is happening? Perhaps they are getting stuck on the filter intake?

2. CosmicDodo42Valued MemberMember

It could be that they are getting stuck on the intake, but due to them being new fish, it could just be new tank syndrome. I think I would try spending more time acclimating them, and possibly isolate them. It could also be that they came from a poor retailer, and came sick or something like that. It could also be that the temputure could be too warm. I hope this helps! Good luck in the future!

3. JunneFishlore LegendMember

Fish only get stuck on the intake if they are already weak and or dying. MOST fish are able to swim away if they are in good health.
    According to everything you have written, its hard to determine exact causes of the deaths.

I don't know the compatibility of the hachetfish and the rams though ( someone else should be able to chime in on that and if they are compatible or not )

How long in this tank and how did you acclimate when introducing them? Were they qt'ed before putting them in this tank? You mentioned ich outbreak - were these fish all affected?
    How did you cure the ich and for how long?

4. FlipFlopFishFlakeWell Known MemberMember

I don't know if they got stuck while alive, they probably died and were sucked on it then.

I already had a thread on stocking, and supposedly hatchets and bolivian rams are compatible.

I acclimated them for over a hour using a modified drip acclimation method when adding them to the quarantine tank, and I acclimated them for 30 minutes when transferring them to the 46 gallon, because they only have a few degree temp difference and the rest of the parameters are the same. They were quarantined for a full month before being added. I had an ich outbreak a while back, and used heat and salt to treat it. Since there was still some ich remaining, I used medication on it and resolved the issue. One of the hatchetfish that died had ich, but it was treated by the time he had died.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice