Mysterious eggs

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by n0kturnal, Apr 21, 2006.

1. n0kturnalNew MemberMember

Hi all.
    I bought 4 banana lilly plants today. When i got home to plant them, i found that they had what i think are eggs attached to 3-4 stems of each plant. They look like jelly fish exept with no tentacles and have alot of little dots inside which i'm assuming are the eggs. i would provide a photo but they too small and wont show up on my 3.2mp camera :-\
    well what i wanted to know is, what are these eggs from? anyone know of any fish 'binding' their eggs to plants in sacs?

thanks,
    n0kturnal

2. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Thay're more than likely snail eggs. You'll have to get rid of them unless you want your tank infested with snails...

3. n0kturnalNew MemberMember

thanks for that.
    will aquariums buy back snails?

4. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

ummm...no...that's what most of them are trying to get rid of...
    I'm not sure what to tell you, I don't want to say kill all eggs, but you don't want a bunch of unidentified snails in your tank...some get huge or destroy plants... :(

5. newbie101Well Known MemberMember

and most snail species multiply like CRAZY!!!! Some are hermaphroditic, too, so they don't need a male and a female.
    You definitely don't want a snail infestation, theymake the tank look really dirty.

6. n0kturnalNew MemberMember

thanks for the input. i've rinsed the plants under a tap and gotten rid of all the ones i can see.