Mysterious Deaths and Fish Euthanizing?

Anniestells

(this is copy pasted from a message i added to a separate thread of mine

My female cherry barb was looking really good after being medicated and healing, and I went on an overnight. Less than 24 hrs between seeing her and the fungus had spread about a half inch across her body, and she cannot swim. One of my Cory cats died as well, with nothing visibly wrong with him- he was behaving normally before I left too. I did a 50% water change and removed the dead fish. I have no idea what I should do next. I feel like physically my barb will not recover (she could have grown back her tail, but not her entire back half). Would euthanizing her be the best/most humane thing to do? Another one of my barbs looks like his back is sort of crooked oddly too.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I feel so terrible and guilty about this because when I got these fish they were stressed and living poorly. I managed to turn that around and my tank was so healthy. 6 months of happiness in my tank until I added the cats and now practically everyone has died. Fish keeping was never this sad of an experience before. I’m starting to wonder if I should just return all of the healthy fish in this tank to the store/friends and euthanize the fish who look sick. Any advice wijld

OP
Anniestells

Anniestells

Anniestells said:
(this is copy pasted from a message i added to a separate thread of mine

My female cherry barb was looking really good after being medicated and healing, and I went on an overnight. Less than 24 hrs between seeing her and the fungus had spread about a half inch across her body, and she cannot swim. One of my Cory cats died as well, with nothing visibly wrong with him- he was behaving normally before I left too. I did a 50% water change and removed the dead fish. I have no idea what I should do next. I feel like physically my barb will not recover (she could have grown back her tail, but not her entire back half). Would euthanizing her be the best/most humane thing to do? Another one of my barbs looks like his back is sort of crooked oddly too.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I feel so terrible and guilty about this because when I got these fish they were stressed and living poorly. I managed to turn that around and my tank was so healthy. 6 months of happiness in my tank until I added the cats and now practically everyone has died. Fish keeping was never this sad of an experience before. I’m starting to wonder if I should just return all of the healthy fish in this tank to the store/friends and euthanize the fish who look sick. Any advice wijld
Update:

I euthanized her. She stopped swimming and tilted to her side, after trying to hide inside plant leaves and under my log. Rip little girl you were so strong

AvalancheDave

Well Known
Regarding the fish that died with no obvious symptoms, are you using liquid carbon (Excel or similar)?

New Threads