Mysterious Death Help

1. Ashto Brado

Ashto Brado Member Member

I've recently added a figure 8 puffer to a tank with my pike cichlid and rainbow shark. He's been doing well for the past couple weeks I've had him. As far as temperament wise, the tank was semi aggressive with the shark and pike occasionally taking shots at eachother but that's all. I noticed the pike strike the puffer once when he was defending his rock but I see no spots on the puffer to indicate a wound. For a couple hours, the pike cichlid was breathing heavy and then started spazzing out of nowhere, and then died immediately after. I did a small water change but that's it, nothing out of the ordinary. I don't know if he died because of the puffer, because my water perameters are fine. Could the shark have striked him the wrong way and that caused his death? He was 3 inches and the shark is 4 inches. I just want to know what could have happened. We also have gravel in the tank but he never swallows it, he always spits it back out. Help!

2. b

bryangar Well Known Member Member

When you say your parameters were fine, what were the exact numbers? Ammonia? nitrite? nitrate?

3. OP
    OP
    Ashto Brado

0 my guy, nothing was bad with the water

4. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

Did or you know if your pH changed drastically quickly when you did the water change?

5. OP
    OP
    Ashto Brado

It went from 6.7 to 6.8

6. finnipper59

We can rule out pH shock. It just seems way too sudden to not be from some kind of shock. But there are some internal diseases and paracites that would cause death, but not usually that quickly and abruptly that I could think of unless it's my 1st case of hearing about a fish having a heart attack.

7. OP
    OP
    Ashto Brado

Are you sure the puffer couldn't of killed him? He did attack the puffer once and I know figure 8s have venomous skin.

8. finnipper59

Yes, that is certainly a big possibility.

9. OP
    OP
    Ashto Brado

And is a 4-4.5 inch rainbow shark enough to break something and make him spazz or something?

10. finnipper59

At this point, the only thing I can do is speculate. But from the description you gave, I would guess that the poisoning fro the puffer sounds more feasible.

11. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

Sounds like poisoning to me.