40 Gallon Tank Mysterious Death after coming back from a trip.

RedOnion

WARNING DEAD FISH PICS.

I just came back from a week long trip. Before leaving everyone seemed fine. I did a big water change before going and set up an automatic feeder for them that I tested out and it was feeding a good amount, a little less then I like but I didn't mind. All parameters were good at the time 0,0,5-10.

I haven't been able to test all the parameters right now since I had to leave the house rq but I tested ammonia and it was 0.

Now here's where the issue happened, since I can home late last night, all the tank lights were off. This morning lights turn on and my sister sees a dead cherry Barb floating that is covered in fungus. I have no idea how long she was dead for:(

I take her out an examine. Her eyes are gone, fins are nipped and her belly area looks a bit weird. But then again she was sitting in the tank for a long time
covered in fungus.

Here are 2 potentials options that could have happened:

1) she was chased to death by one of my cherry barbs. He will chase everyone and anyone but my angelfish since she is bigger, until I come up to the glass and tap it once. He is the bully and will go after my honey gouramis too.

2) disease? I have no clue what she could have gotten since they all seemed fine before going for the trip.

In the first pic I opened her belly area and there was this brown stuff. Could be poo or food, I have no clue.

Attachments

• IMG_20210728_110912.jpg
    IMG_20210728_110912.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 16
  • MVIMG_20210728_110805.jpg
    MVIMG_20210728_110805.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 17

awilkinson871

Barbs are usually nippy and should be in a school to help them from picking on one. That doesn't always work especially if one is smaller or has an illness or injury or is just the weak one. It likely got picked on until it died. It must have been a while back since it is growing fungus and the other fish have fed on it. I would test the nitrites to make sure you don't have a mini-cycle going on.

Upvote 0

RedOnion

Barbs are usually nippy and should be in a school to help them from picking on one. That doesn't always work especially if one is smaller or has an illness or injury or is just the weak one. It likely got picked on until it died. It must have been a while back since it is growing fungus and the other fish have fed on it. I would test the nitrites to make sure you don't have a mini-cycle going on.
They were in a school of 8 before 2 passed a way a long time ago because of camallanus worms. So there has only been 6 since then till today. So now there's 5 left, 2 males and 3 females. My male is the biggest bully omg.

I will test once I come back and let you know. Do you think this could have played a role in some algae in the tank? When I came back I found some algae that I didn't have before. I'll be doing a water change today to remove any waste from the tank.

Okay just checked. No nitrites. A clean bill thank god. I will still be doing that needed water change though and some algae maintenance for sure.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
Replies
Views
PJ1207
Replies
Views
sarcuri
Replies