Mysterious Critter

ChristianYK

So I was feeding my fish today and I found this little bug hanging out on my heater. I have no clue what it is, and I'm not sure if it is dangerous and needs to be removed. Does anybody know what this is and if I need to take it out?

QCAquaholic

damselfly larvae? If so I'd absolutely get rid of it.

Upvote 0

seamonkeything

aww, you accidentially raised a damselfly larva. Remove it from your tank because they are aggressive and predatory, and raise it in a small planted tank/container. Feed live foods such as brine shrimp or scuds. Once you have it for a long time it will emerge from the water and became and adult damselfly.
You must be registered to see images
You must be registered to see images

Upvote 0

ChristianYK

Ok I'll try to get rid of it just gotta find it first lol

Upvote 0

seamonkeything

You dont have to keep it, but it would be a fun side project to watch it grow from an aquatic larva to one of the most beautiful flying insects.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

I like when them or dragon flies come and land on my bobber or fishing line. Only thing better is if the bullfrogs start singing.

Upvote 0

seamonkeything

Same, but it is even better when they perch on your head or arms

Upvote 0

MrBryan723

That one is really close to a finished product it looks.

Upvote 0

seamonkeything

No, when i look at it it still is a young individual.

Upvote 0

Fishcat

It’s awesome when they sit on your finger. If you move your hand slowly you can see them very close up, and they’re beautiful creatures. Especially with dragonflies, there’s such a contrast between the larva, which is terrifying, and the adult.
We were at the source of the Mississippi once (well, as with all sources it is one of too many to count, but it does go by that name), where you can wade across. The dragonflies were metamorphosing. Husks of larvae everywhere on the water plants. That was also the time I almost got a leech (on the foot, not attached). Should have known. We passed Leech Lake on the way there.

Upvote 0

MrBryan723

No, when i look at it it still is a young individual.
The lack of gills tells me it's getting ready to metamorph into an adult. They should have 3 fin looking things at the end of their tail until then.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
A201
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
Jennie2021
Replies