Help Mysterious Cloudy Mist

Astro13AnEnthpl9

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
HI
I have a 5 gallon brackish tank set up with two fiddler crabs (one female and one male). I use gravel as a substrate and I currently filter the water with a powered filter ... though there is also land provided for the crabs as well. I feed my crabbies shrimp pellets and vegetables. Just this evening I noticed this whitish, transparent cloud trail that seems to be emitted from the shrimp pellets. It looks a lot like a spider web built underwater. There is also this bread like substance that is collecting at the bottom of this cloudy substance. Does anyone know what this is ? Is this harmful to my crabs?

I attached the picture and the mist is visible at the bottom center of the photo.

Attachments

Furallicah

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If I'm not mistaken fiddler crabs carry their eggs (the females) so I don't think that's eggs. But it could be something from cleaning the eggs if your female has them. You say its coming from the shrimp pellets? How long has the shrimp pellets been in the water?

OP
A

Astro13AnEnthpl9

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
No.... the female fiddler crab is not carrying eggs. The shrimp pellets have probably been in the water for about 12 hours but Ive left it longer than that and this is the first time I see something like this .....

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I have moved your thread to the Aquarium Water/Cloudy Aquarium Water section of the forum.

If the fish food is causing your water to cloud, then you may need to vacuum the substrate a bit more often. Too, I would consider changing foods if possible. There are foods on the market that say "will not cloud aquarium water".

Too, with your tank being recently set up, a bacterial bloom may be forming. It isn't harmful and will eventually go away on its own over time.

https://www.fishlore.com/CloudyWater.htm

TedsTank

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It is bacteria forming on the foods. Be very careful not to overfeed and do not leave food sitting in the tank too long. Syphon out out the cloudy food bits as they begin to spoil or do not leave food in the tank longer than 4 hours or so.

The female crab will have eggs (looks like a sponge) under her apron where they will hatch from. She will fan her apron the circulate water thru the eggs.

New Threads