Myanmar 10 Gallon Cpd Tank Question

1. JoJe Member Member

Hello,

I am setting up a 10 gallon CPD tank, and have kind of gotten stuck as far as what I could get away with. I initially wanted to have a biotope tank, but after realizing how severely limiting plants/invert choices would be in that, I have expanded the idea to a Myanmar tank in general, still focusing on the Inle region as much as possible. My planned stocking is:

~ 6 CPDs
    ~ Maybe another school of 6 nano fish such as Rosy Loaches (endemic to CPD habitat)
    ~ Clean up Inverts of some variety

OR

~8 CPDs
    ~ A single or Pair of some fish from Myanmar comparative to a sparkling gourami in size (but I cannot find any species that are good candidates)
    ~ Clean up Inverts of some variety

The tank has an oversized HOB + will be heavily planted with plants found in Myanmar, so I am not at all worried about filtration problems from the stocking, just that the fish are happy with the space provided.

What I am stuck on, and can't seem to find many resources on, is what is a good clean up crew/ invert option that is endemic to Myanmar (although if I HAVE to, I will consider stretching my range a little bit more). Any fish or plant species ideas are also welcome. :)

2. Genobreaker Well Known Member Member

Scarlet badis or Asian Stone Catfish maybe? Haven't kept either of them, but think they'd be compatible with Cpds and think they're from near Myanmar.

3. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

4. JoJe Member Member

Awesome. Any invert ideas?

5. Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

6. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

For inverts, could you go outside of Myanmar? I really have no idea if any Myanmar inverts are even in the hobby. There may be some but I am not aware of them.

7. JoJe Member Member

Yeah, I can go outside of Myanmar as long as the water parameters and habitat are similar to the limestone fed Myanmar ponds and streams (slightly alkaline (CPDs are in 7.3), soft water, heavy vegetation). I know Crystal Shrimp are from Southern China, and Bamboo Shrimp are native to most of Indochina. But those are the closest I found so far.

8. smee82 Well Known Member Member

CPDs are very shy and will definitely need a dither fish or a large school on their own. I personally would probably have 10 to 12 on their own with a few shrimp. I love watching them in my tank

9. ~EverythingsSoSawbwa~ Member Member

Following! I have Asian Rummy nose, which are from Lake Inle in Myanmar :) They are schooling though. Interested to know what other fish come from that area too.

10. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

You could easily do red cherry shrimp or the other Neocaridina davidi variants with the other fish.

11. JoJe Member Member

I looked at Sawbwa too. You have a couple Danio species, but should only keep one from my research, as they are close enough that they could cross breed. Rosy loaches are a good somewhat bottom dweller. But that is the extent of what I know right now.

@Anders247 RCS are fine, but Taiwan is a little bit of a stretch for any kind of biotope like thing. Crystals seem to be the best compromise, as they nibble on any stray algae and food, unlike bamboo, but are fairly close to Myanmar. Would they be ok in a slightly alkaline environment though?

12. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

They're a more sensitive and tougher shrimp to keep. Not sure if they would do well.