Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

My Zebra Danio's Are Piglettes......

Discussion in 'Zebra Danio' started by dwightparker, Oct 24, 2018.

1. dwightparkerValued MemberMember

Purchased 8 zebra danio's for a community tank (29 gal) and they know when I walk up it is feeding time.... my concern is they are super active and all over the place and seem to eat everything so quickly that I'm afraid my flame tetra's and 1 male Betta aren't getting enough to eat.....my flame tetra's (AKA Orange von Rio tetras) are very skittish and hide when I approach the tank..... any tricks or suggestions aside from separating them from this tank? I drop flakes in 2 spots and follow up with frozen brine shrimp......

2. Guppy_Lover713Valued MemberMember

I used to have this issue too. I feed my danios and betta different foods (danios flakes and betta pellets). The danios don't care what they eat as long as they eat it, and will quickly gobble up the pellets as they will the flakes. My old betta was thankfully quick enough to eat the pellets while with the danios (some pellets did get eaten by the danios though). With my new betta though, he is much, much slower. Before I had to seperate him due to aggression issues I would have to net him and bring him to the surface where he could still swim in the net but the other fish couldn't get to him. Then I would drop the pellets in for the betta and wait for him to eat them. I don't know what I would do about the flame tetra though. Did your flame tetra eat from the surface of the tank or did he wait until the flakes fall prior to you getting the danios?

3. dwightparkerValued MemberMember

The flame tetras hang out mid-level and prior to the danio introduction, when fed they would swim upwards and dart around and pick up shrimp and eat....I can drop enough food in to be sure all get food, but have noticed the danios are getting plump, which is not good.....while there is no conflict between them and the danio's, they seem to hold back and stay in "their claimed area" since the danio's were introduced....the danio's are all over the tank like new puppies.....though true to their nature spend 90%+ of their time at the surface.....