My worst fear

1. SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

Hi everyone,
    Just thought id tell you about my worst fear that i secretly have in regards to keeping fish. I actually fear my tanks breaking, i mean leaking, cracking or just exploding. I know that might seem funny but i truly fear this might happen due to the pressure of the water on the glass. So i am constantly terrified. My largest tank is 30L and i would love nothing more than to get a bigger tank, but what scares me is the bigger it is the more chance it might break under pressure. Have any of you had any of these things happen? Have you heard of it or know someone it happened to? Or am i just being silly? :;dogrun
    Id like to not worry about this, but it constantly plays on my mind.

2. axel Well Known Member Member

what size tank and how thick is your glass?Never heard any of that,if your tank is factory made,i wouldnt worry about that kind of thing

3. Bellatrix Member Member

It doesn't sound silly at all. We all have our fears.

4. SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

The tanks range in glass thickness from 2-3mm. I have 2x30L 3x20L 3x15L and 1x5L tanks. I think they are all factory made. I try not to worry :;soldier

5. joiakimfish Member Member

I Understand fully I have a 125g and if it shatters /leaks /cracks ... I know it would be a real bad day ..actually just saw a video recently of a girl hanging over a balcony and then falling onto a small tank not only did she probably really mess herself up badly but the tank was completely destroyed

6. leftswerve Well Known Member Member

Some things you can do to prevent an issues: a level stand, factory tanks, no direct sunlight.
    At any sign of fatigue or failure of silicone, replace.
    Most importantly, enjoy our fish!

7. axel Well Known Member Member

Then you dont have anything to worry about,just relax and enjoy this hobby...mine have thickness 2 cm 90 gallon..

8. SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

Hi guys, thank you for your comments and advice. I will try to feel better about it but its in the back of my mind. Just thought someone else out there might have the same fear as me. And yes it would be a real bad day if it happened. I didn't know to keep them out of sunlight, so that's a good one ty :)

9. Landos Well Known Member Member

I am the same way. Everytime I hear a loud noise, I get up and go check my tank in the livingroom. There are always possiblities but they are slim.
    You could always make a nice pond if you live where it doesnt get too cold

10. PaulieWoz Member Member

I'm like that too, 2 months ago I set up a 75 gallon and every time I come home the first thing I look at is the floor to see if it's wet.

I also feel like I need to call my insurance company and ask them to add water damage caused by aquarium to my policy. Just in case. Especially since I recently had bamboo floors installed.

11. peregrine Member Member

It is absolutely not funny as a fear. There is a lot of water in any tank and can cause a lot of damage, not including the cost of the tank and all the stock. I always had that fear which is one reason why I was originally so hesitant. My 3 year old helped me over tat bump with every time we went to petsmart she kept asking for "pretty fishies", but I still have the small fear, and just check my tank daily for any signs of even the most minute water leakage.

12. ToddHendrix Member Member

I saw that too. It was one of those oceanic biocube tanks. No reason for the tank to break unless something crazy like that happens.

13. cheese Member Member

I have the same problem with my canister filter lol...I bought it several months ago, and every time I walk into the room, first thing I do is go see if the floor near the canister is at all wet or has any water spots on it...I can just see it draining the water onto the floor one day.
    on another note, I have a 5 gallon aquarium that I noticed has a crack in the back bottom corner...the tank doesn't have a plastic rim around the top and the glass is crazy thin because it's a 5 gal. it's been holding up really well but it's definitely time to retire that tank...lol idk what I'm waiting for after typing this honestly lol

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

14. peregrine Member Member

cheese someone to tell you to go get a new one? Soooo go get a new one..

15. Landos Well Known Member Member

This is the reason canister filters scare me. I am thinking of putting a canister inside a 30gal tote, just in case it leaks, and have the intake tube shorter, so if it does leak, it would only leak out 20% of water

16. SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

Hi guys! Thanks for all your comments. I know im not alone in this thinking now.
    Lets just hope my fears don't come true and i haven't jinxed myself!

17. BlackNotebookTanks Well Known Member Member

I SAW THAT!!! What in the name of God was she doing?! I watched the video and upon seeing the tank underneath her I immediately thought "Oh god no she's going to smash into the fish tank!" It looked like her left knee smashed the front pane off the tank, and judging be that alone, she's got some pretty nasty injuries. I'm annoyed at the fact that the person filming didn't even help her in the slightest. I guess we know where their priorities lie...

18. Bellatrix Member Member

We're the fish ok??

*Were.

19. BlackNotebookTanks Well Known Member Member

Don't know... don't even know what happened to the girl... That's the internet for you. Ten seconds of video with no story before or after.

20. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

If you're talking about catastrophic failure of the glass, it might set your mind at ease to know that the bigger the tank volume the thicker the glass used;)