My Wife gave me WALLY!

pepetj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
My wife gave me an unexpected anniversary gift (gotta love that woman of mine!). A West African Lung Fish (WAL) whom I named Wally.

Wally is at the moment in a swamp bio-type 30Breeder tank (I was setting it up for a young "ancient fish"). He/she will move to a five or six footer in my office (custom built).

Odd but kind of cute guy/gal!

Pepetj
Santo Domingo

Attachments

Last edited:

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I didn't know what to expect when I read the title of the thread

Congratulations!

Welcome to Fishlore, Wally! Pssttt...tell your dad to take pics of you and post them. We'd love to see what a beautiful boy you are

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Really cool lady you have there Had you shown it to her at some time maybe?

Are those the ones that can live in the mud when their habitat dries UP?
Carol

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
And are they the ones who can "walk" on water, or are those mudskippers, or something else?

ETA: I just realized I wrote walk on water. I believe that this was Jesus and not a fish. I think I meant walk outside of water. :whistling:

Last edited:

pepetj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
This guy/gal is likely to grow to 36"long (3'). In the wild they survive the dry season by aestivation, a hybernation-like phenomena in which the Lung Fish digs an U shaped cave in the mud and covers itself inside, leaving a few holes to breathe. All its body is covered in a dense mucus that keeps moist inside. It can survive up to 2 years in that state but usually only endures a few months in it until the wet/rain season arrives. The water permeates the mud "cocoon-like" cave and softens the hardened mucus, releasing the Lung Fish. His metabolic rate drops dramatically while in this dormant state. He/She comes out quite skinny and hungry.

Those fortunate ones that happen to live in areas that don't dry up, probably won't enter this stage.

Pepetj
Santo Domingo

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Those fortunate ones that happen to live in areas that don't dry up, probably won't enter this stage.

Pepetj
Santo Domingo
Then they don't need this part of their life cycle to survive/live long lives? You have the most interesting fish
Carol

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Happy Anniversary!

That was very sweet of the Mrs. I hope you enjoy your new, beautiful, fish! What an interesting creature! Thanks for sharing with us Pepetj!

Ken

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom