My well water has too high alkalinity How much purified water to replace?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by grelsner96, Jul 25, 2015.

1. grelsner96New MemberMember

I have been running my new tank with a filter, but no fish or any gravel to get the water ready to add fish from my small aquarium. My budget is low. But I did a 6-n-1 test and all was fine except too high alkalinity and ph was a little high. My plan to take out some of the stuff thats in the water I forgot what they're called but it's like calcium deposits and other salts or Iminerals. I plan to take out some of the water and replace with purified water at the grocery store. It is the kind that I bring my container and press the button and it fills until I hit stop. Is this correct?

I am going to get a RO filter soon, but don't have the money at this time.

2. CindiL

CindiLFishlore LegendMember

Hi. There is nothing wrong with having high alkalinity!! :)
    Its all fine. I wouldn't use purified water, its a waste of your money and time. What is your GH?
    Also ph is fine high and your high alkalinity will keep it VERY stable which is a good thing.

When you move your fish over from your small aquarium move over their filter also as that is where the majority of your cycle bacteria live. Do not throw it out. If the filter won't fit, take everything inside the small aquarium filter and put it in the new filter at the same time you move this fish.

3. OP
    OP
    g

grelsner96New MemberMember

Hi,
    I wish I had someone experienced like you here to show me. i mean, I do trust you, however since it's well water, I want to be extremely cautious. I've been fiddling with it for over a week now. I've had this tank sitting here with the filter filtering an empty tank just to get the water really clean before i move my babies.

Is it a bad idea to go ahead and put one of the fish in just for about 30 minutes and see how he reacts?

I mean, the water looks bluish...
    Do you mean take the filter media from the current small tank and put it INSIDE the canister filter in one of the baskets? Or do you mean put the old filter connect it up to the wall electricity and have it be a second filter? I mean, it's not gonna do much good because it's so small but I guess another filter is a good thing?

I just had the idea: I can to a partial water change in their current 10gal tank, and replace the water I take out with water from the larger tank?

4. KarenLM

KarenLMWell Known MemberMember

Don't put any fish in until you have the old filter media ready to move. You have to move the fish and media at the same time and the media cannot be out of water for more than a minute or so to keep the live bacteria alive.

The media needs the fish and the fish need the old media.

I have hard well water with a pH about 8. Most fish adapt to your pH as long as it is stable (stays the same over time).

5. CindiL

CindiLFishlore LegendMember

Yeah you could do a partial water change with the new water.

It's always good to have an additional filter or you can move the filter materials only. Your choice. Just make sure to move the fish and filter at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice