My WCMM have been up to some stuff... now babies!

SeaMonkey06

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I was just about to feed my wcmm and I now see that I have hundreds of little FRY swimming everywhere. It would make sense, as I've always been like "WCMM are that easy to breed? I've never had fry" but now I realise that all my original white clouds were FEMALE - and the three I bought a week ago are MALE. I was wondering what I should do with these little guys? They look so small and helpless, but are definitely baby fish!

Hopefully this all makes sense, my nerves are a bit frazzled!
SeaMonkey06

lilirose

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you don't want them to breed any more, you need to move the males to a different tank.

OP
SeaMonkey06

SeaMonkey06

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
lilirose said:
If you don't want them to breed any more, you need to move the males to a different tank.
What should I do in the meantime? Do they need to be taken out?

So my WCMM just had TONS of babies and I really was not prepared and didn't register that the eggs were eggs until they hatched!

I am wanting to move my existing WCMM over to a bigger tank and leave the fry in the existing tank (as there are so many) and was wondering if there is a way that I could speed up the cycling process for the new tank?

Thanks,
SeaMonkey06

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What size tank are they in and what filter are you using. You can set up the new tank and take some media from the established tank and let it run for a bit and it will essentially give u an instant cycle.

OP
SeaMonkey06

SeaMonkey06

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks, I'll try that.

They are in a 5 Gallon tank which I was already (before the fish hatched) in the process of upgrading as it's WAYYY too small. I'm using the filter that my tank came with, so I'm not sure. The new tank will be about 18 Gallons. I'm so stressed as I don't want either of the "generations" to die! What would you do in this situation?

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
SeaMonkey06 said:
Thanks, I'll try that.

They are in a 5 Gallon tank which I was already (before the fish hatched) in the process of upgrading as it's WAYYY too small. I'm using the filter that my tank came with, so I'm not sure. The new tank will be about 18 Gallons. I'm so stressed as I don't want either of the "generations" to die! What would you do in this situation?
Probably the same thing your doing panic and attemp to set up a fry tank :)

KingJamal2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Seachem stability is great. I’ve used it on all my new tanks, and the tanks are ready in a week. I’ve had no problems with it.

OP
SeaMonkey06

SeaMonkey06

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So, as I've said in a few of my previous posts, my WCMM have 'had babies' and I have a ton of little fry swimming around everywhere. While I set up the new tank that I'm going to move my adults too, I was wondering about feeding them? I am afraid that my fish (during feeding time) might mistake some of the fry for fish food. How do I feed both groups? Will the WCMM do anything to harm the younger babies? I REALLY was not expecting to have any baby fish, but here I am!

Thanks,
SeaMonkey06

lilirose

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you keep fish species that breed easily, you will end up with fry every time. :)

WCMM don't eat their young (some fish do). I've always found that fry can eat what you'd feed the parents, only ground up finer. You can also buy fry-specific food, baby brine shrimp, or feed a live-type of food called "Infuosoria" (I understand this is something one can culture at home, but I've never needed to do it myself- there are YouTube videos out there about it). The adults will probably eat some baby food but the babies will not fail to get enough to grow.

OP
SeaMonkey06

SeaMonkey06

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
lilirose said:
If you keep fish species that breed easily, you will end up with fry every time. :)

WCMM don't eat their young (some fish do). I've always found that fry can eat what you'd feed the parents, only ground up finer. You can also buy fry-specific food, baby brine shrimp, or feed a live-type of food called "Infuosoria" (I understand this is something one can culture at home, but I've never needed to do it myself- there are YouTube videos out there about it). The adults will probably eat some baby food but the babies will not fail to get enough to grow.
Probably need to do something about keeping the males and females together then!

Oh, that's a relief, thank you! I'll try crushing up some of the adult's food, and if that doesn't work, I'll head down to my local pet store and buy some fry food.
Thanks! :)

New Threads