My water looks soapy Help

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by goldiegirl, Mar 31, 2010.

1. g

goldiegirl Valued Member Member

This morning I noticed my water looked soapy, and I can't figure out why. Nothing changed that I know of, but on one side of the tank there were tiny little bubbles covering the surface. These weren't at all the types of bubbles that come from the air pump. They're small and don't pop. The other side of the tank is totally clear, and the bubbles coming up from the air wand are popping like normal. It's hard to explain, but it's definitely a soapy look. Has this ever happened to anybody? Can this be explained in any way other than some mysterious chemical got into the tank? I immediately performed a water change, because I was worried that there was some type of chemical in there. The fish look fine, but I can't figure out what happened. Oh, I forgot to mention... these are two comets (3 inches each) in a 55 gallon tank. It's not a betta bubblenest or anything : )

2. t

trailblazer295 Well Known Member Member

After a quick check on the net it may be impurities built up in the water increasing the surface tension and the solution would be doing WC to bring the balance back. I know I've seen this time of look in nature before but don't know the cause.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  3. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Do you use stresscoat or any other additive that has aloe in it ? Stress coat after awhile will sometimes cause tiny soapy looking bubbles and it's just the aloe building up. Harmless to your fish.
    Carol

4. OP
    OP
    g

goldiegirl Valued Member Member

I used to use Stress Coat, so there might still be some left in the tank, but I ran out and the last couple water changes I've done have been with Tetra Aqua Safe. The only other thing in my water that I know of is aquarium salt.

I just remembered that I also recently added some new sponges to the filters. I rinsed them first in tank water when I did a water change, but maybe there was some chemical on them?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2010
  5. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

A couple of good water changes should take care of it.
    When I feed frozen foods really heavy I get little protein bubbles in the corner sometimes and when I do a couple of good water changes it goes away so that's another option for bubbles in your tank.
    carol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice