My water has formed a skin and my plants have white stuff on it

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue6253

Reaction score
Hi

Sorry if I'm doing this wrong but I'm new to the page and I just really need help with my tank. I had this one setup for a month now for some Platy and guppies but I've recently moved them to another tank so that I can use it for a betta and now the water has gone bad and has killed the shrimps and I'm scared for the betta but he does look fine at the moment. I thought I should ask someone before I touch it.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

Big Red

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
For us to help we need more info...

Tank size
What kind of filtration
Do you have a test kit? If so what are your parameters?

From just looking at the picture I dont see a running filter if one at all.
Also do you know about the Nitrogen cycle? If not please read itll help out tons.

OP
B

blue6253

Reaction score
It's a 25litre tank and I don't have a filter in it at the moment as I thought I'd be fine because it's been perfect for ages without one and I've been doing water changes weekly. And I'll test the water now.

OP
B

blue6253

Reaction score
image.jpegimage.jpeg
This test strip is a 6 in 1 jbl I don't really get how to read it but it's mostly verging on the good/bad side :/

Okay no3 25-50 no2 2-5 gh 14-21 kh 20d ph 7.6-8 cl2 0

OP
B

blue6253

Reaction score

Attachments

BluMan1914

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello, good morning, and welcome to Fishlore. First off test strips are known for not being accurate, and looking at the one you have, I'd be very comfused on how to read it. Get rid of it and get yourself the API MASTER TEST KIT. It's about 27$ online compare to about 45$ at the local fish store (LFS), plus you get 800 test with it. Please get a filter, a Betta needs one. I would also suggest that you do at least two water changes a week.

OP
B

blue6253

Reaction score
Oh sorry it's a dead shrimp he's out of the tanks now and okay I'll get a master kit tomorrow. Should I move the betta into another environment for tonight and use water from my other tank??

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would just use new, conditioned water for the Betta and do daily water changes until you can get a filter.

OP
B

blue6253

Reaction score
Okay thank as long as the fish is okay I'm happy. I'll do a water change now what percentage would you recommend?

BluMan1914

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do at least 50%.

I was going to suggest 70%, but wasn't to sure if that would be too much, so I suggested 50% to stay on the safe side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom