My Water Fountain Idea

Triston Wasmund
We have this 20 gallon water fountain outside in our courtyard, hasn't been used I a while so I thought why not? I plan on putting my female Guppy in there along with some 5 week guppy fry, and then within a month add a pleco. There is a pump, that pumps the water to the top which then falls down. So not really a filter, but not too worried about it right now. I'm hopping the pump suction is not too strong and doesn't suck up fry but we will see. Will keep you guys updated. Please give me ANY TIPS you can, I need all the tips I can get. The thing does have a cover for the area the pump sets but I think I will leave it out.
IMG_1362.JPG
IMG_1363.JPG
IMG_1364.JPG
IMG_1367.JPG Side shot from the cover for the pump

Dotrenrew
Watching

Triston Wasmund
Culprit
Mabye try putting a large cell sponge in the hole where the water comes in?

Dotrenrew
Thanks for the input, lol

LOL, sorry, It's all I got. I'm still a noob at this whole fish thing. I just love your idea and hope it works out for you.

bitseriously
What climate? Expected temp variations?
Is it exposed to sun, or rain?

forestwind1234
If you have raccoons in the area they'll eat your fish..

Lorekeeper
Depending on where you live, you're going to need a very strong heater and/or chiller, along with a lid to keep predators away.

If you don't keep up with top offs, you'll have to deal with evaporation, or vice versa. If it rains too much, it could cause water quality swings as old water gets pushed out.

I like this project, but it's something I'd definitely try in a basement or something.

Culprit
Its just guppies... think its what it was like in the wild almost. Good insulation on the surronding fountain base, and plenty of water that it shouldn't swing too fast. You have to topoff a fountain anyways as well. Likely won't need a heater or chiller, just get fish that can live in your climate. What's the point of a lid on a fountain? I'd say depending on where it is they'll be fine. Also for filtration in that coverover for the pump, put a bag of bioballs or something.

Lorekeeper
Its just guppies... think its what it was like in the wild almost. Good insulation on the surronding fountain base, and plenty of water that it shouldn't swing too fast. You have to topoff a fountain anyways as well. Likely won't need a heater or chiller, just get fish that can live in your climate. What's the point of a lid on a fountain? I'd say depending on where it is they'll be fine. Also for filtration in that coverover for the pump, put a bag of bioballs or something.
Well, OP lives in Texas, so the cold might not be too much of a problem. I'd still go for the wild variation, as freezing temps aren't unheard of, and it can get quite warm. They should be more tolerant of swings.

For the top off issues, I'm talking a bit more about pollution from the rain. If OP lives in Houston, there's no telling what's going to be in the rainwater. To add onto that, falling rain will probably have a different temp and a different PH than what's in the fountain. Might not be an issue unless you have torrential rainfall, but something to watch for.

The lid is to keep away predators. Even if OP lives in an urban area, raccoons and cats still thrive. It wouldn't be a stretch for one to make it's way into the yard and snack on your fish. Happens at the ponds here all the time.

That said, I don't know a ton about "ponds". OP might be fine without all of these things, just stuff to look into.

EbiAqua
I'm thinking some kind of sponge filter attached to the pump would be adequate. I also think that something like some dwarf water lettuce would be a good way to add not only extra filtration but add to the beauty of the fountain.

I'd not put a pleco in there, personally. Guppies and mosquito fish would be fine.

Triston Wasmund
Mabye try putting a large cell sponge in the hole where the water comes in?

I think I am just going to leave the cover off.

What climate? Expected temp variations?
Is it exposed to sun, or rain?

Shouldn't be too exposed to sun. Yes it is exposed to rain.

Well, OP lives in Texas, so the cold might not be too much of a problem. I'd still go for the wild variation, as freezing temps aren't unheard of, and it can get quite warm. They should be more tolerant of swings.

For the top off issues, I'm talking a bit more about pollution from the rain. If OP lives in Houston, there's no telling what's going to be in the rainwater. To add onto that, falling rain will probably have a different temp and a different PH than what's in the fountain. Might not be an issue unless you have torrential rainfall, but something to watch for.

The lid is to keep away predators. Even if OP lives in an urban area, raccoons and cats still thrive. It wouldn't be a stretch for one to make it's way into the yard and snack on your fish. Happens at the ponds here all the time.

That said, I don't know a ton about "ponds". OP might be fine without all of these things, just stuff to look into.

Depending on where you live, you're going to need a very strong heater and/or chiller, along with a lid to keep predators away.

If you don't keep up with top offs, you'll have to deal with evaporation, or vice versa. If it rains too much, it could cause water quality swings as old water gets pushed out.

I like this project, but it's something I'd definitely try in a basement or something.

Not worried about predators too bad. It's in our courtyard ( can show a picture when I get home) and there is a gate in there before you get to our frontdoor.
Have never seen cats or anything roam too close to our front yard.
Only predator I should be worried about I think is birds but I can put a fake owl or whatever.

I am aware I need to keep up with top offs. Probably every week, just a bit of water, and when I do the water changes, so perfect timing.
As far as temperature, it varies as of right now. It's getting to about 50 at night and up so I think they can adapt for right now. Will bring them inside for winter though.
As far as rain, it does get rained on. I can monitor the parameters and if I notice anything too horrible ( what do y'all say is too much of a swing or whatnot?) I will do something about it.
I live in Spring, Texas but basically Houston. Dad says the city limits/ outskirts of Houston is about 5 miles away from our house and downtown Houston ( this is probably where the major pollution is) is about 35 miles away, so I don't know if that means anything. Will try and keep you guys updated.

Any other questions or tips for me? Would be happy to answer and have any more input.

Fahn Culprit Post above^^^

Culprit
As far as temperature, it varies as of right now. It's getting to about 50 at night and up so I think they can adapt for right now. Will bring them inside for winter though.

For sure some guppies or ricefish will be fine in the fluctuating temps. They're used to it.

As far as rain, it does get rained on. I can monitor the parameters and if I notice anything too horrible ( what do y'all say is too much of a swing or whatnot?) I will do something about it.

I wouldn't be too worried about it. Your not going to get 5 inches of rain in 2 hours. Even a hard pour will just change the water gradually.

Triston Wasmund
For sure some guppies or ricefish will be fine in the fluctuating temps. They're used to it.

I wouldn't be too worried about it. Your not going to get 5 inches of rain in 2 hours. Even a hard pour will just change the water gradually.

I still can't be sure if it's 20 gallons or a bit more. No way to measure it right now, with water. Well change of plans. Just caught 5 green sunfish ( I think) out of a very small pond in a trap I made. Trying to catch minnows but guess there's is none in there. Now I am trying to keep at least 2 of those fish in the fountain instead. Will take pictures when I get home. I feel like they would be a better fit for it, by not sure about the tank size. Can't get any bigger tank, dad won't let me. I will figure it all out. Any input?

Culprit
If its in a very small pond they will already be used to water parameters changing via rain and water temp fluctuating. You can measure by using a marked 5 gallon bucket to pour water in. Mabye try to get some floating plants like duckweed or some pond plants from where you caught the fish.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Triston Wasmund
Replies
Views
Redshark1
Replies
Views
Wendigoblue
Replies
Views