My water change plan for when I’m on vacation this summer- does it sound ok?

AverageAquarist22

So every summer my family and I go to Minnesota for a few weeks, to visit our family. This year we’ll be gone for about 3 weeks, and I’m trying to figure out my water change schedule. I’d rather not have someone come to do a water change because I’d be paying around $25 per water change, and money for me is a bit tight right now. My parents help support my hobby in some ways, but I feel bad asking them to help with more than $5, and even then I only ask every few months if it’s really an emergency. The worst part about this water change business is that we only have 5 gallon buckets and while I have no problem restarting the siphon to change more water if I need, I’m pretty sure the house sitter wouldn‘t like that. So, I’d be paying $25 for someone to change 2-4 gallons of water... I’m just wondering, would it work if I were to do a big (50% or more) water change the day before we leave, and do a big (50% ish) water change the day we get back? I’m also trying to get my hands on some frogbit, which I’ve heard is a huge nitrate/ nitrite (forgot which lol) eating plant, my tank is currently planted, and very understocked (7 rasboras and one guppy.) Someone would be coming over every other day to check on our chickens as well, so they (the fish) wouldn’t be getting food every day.. is this an ok water change schedule or should I just suck it up and spend money to have someone come one time?

Fisch

How often do you do your water changes under normal circumstances?
You can verify your own idea by not changing water for an extended period of time with you around to come to the rescue, create your own experiment with the test kit in one hand. Make a journal when your water starts to go belly up.
I wish I could find a sitter here in Salt Lake, but I would save and scratch money together to be able to take care of the finned friends. You pay them, they can lug water buckets around.

Upvote 0

grac3

also how big is your tank? and what's the filtration like?

Upvote 0

AverageAquarist22

Hmm, maybe I should try that.. tomorrow is my water change day, so I‘ll try waiting a few days and see how the parameters are. Yeah, I’m trying to save up for a few things right now, including frogbit.. I was planning on getting frogbit before we left, and that would still leave me with about $15-20, but if I paid for someone else to do my water change, it would only leave me with about $5. I should really find a babysitting job, lol. My tank is 30 gallons and I use a sponge filter :)

Upvote 0

HupGupp

If you're that understocked you should be more than fine to skip your water change for a couple of weeks IMO

Upvote 0

jtjgg

what's your weekly nitrate level?

Upvote 0

AverageAquarist22

0. I get 0 ammonia, 0 nitrate, and 0 nitrite :)

Upvote 0

grac3

how long has the tank been running? sounds like you've got a good cycle going. so i slightly bigger water change before and after would do fine. personally, i wouldn't add anything to the tank right now (in case you mess up the balance). i learnt this the hard way

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Really depends a lot on the tank. Most of my tanks would be fine for a good 3-4 weeks. I wouldn't do that to my platy tank, not with the way they breed though.

Upvote 0

Fisch

You could also try to extend the sponge filter, like stacking two together to increase filter capacity.
Also what kind of fish do you have?

Upvote 0

grac3

You could also try to extend the sponge filter, like stacking two together to increase filter capacity.
Also what kind of fish do you have?
they said 7 rasboras and 1 guppy

Upvote 0

AverageAquarist22

I’ve had the tank running since late December/ early January. Yeah, I wasn’t planning on making any drastic changes (except for possibly frogbit) before leaving

Upvote 0

grac3

since you're extremely understocked, don't worry! slightly bigger change before and after

Upvote 0

AverageAquarist22

Cool, I thought so! Thank you everyone for your replies, they were all super helpful lol :)

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
jmaldo
  • Question
Replies
Views
Alejandro
Replies
Views