My version of DIY Python/Siphon

jroe263

I can't attach the python to my bathroom sink, and it's not worth the money for the 50 ft version not is it worth changing the faucet.
So, I went to Home Depot this evening and fully explained what I had in mind. This is my new setup - and I changed almost 15 gallons in 10 minutes!!

1. Starting at the tank end, I took my existing gravel vac with vinyl tube and got this adapter here:

This allowed me to connect the gravel vac with vinyl tube to a regular garden hose. I did add a shutoff adapter like this one here:

This is here to prevent water from coming out of the hose when I don't want it to! To drain the tank, I simply placed the other end of the hose in the bath tub, secured it, went back to the tank and siphoned out the water needed. I did have to disconnect the siphon as the water got lower.... Once All the water was out, I made sure the shutoff valve was closed. I went to the bathroom, disconnected my shower head (for me, it's all done by hand...had it off in 30 seconds.) Connected this adapter to the pipe for shower head:

this let me connect the 3/4" hose to the 1/2" pipe. I did tighten a little with a wrench. I filled a small container wit water and checked temp with digital probe thermometer, matched to my tank, and went upstairs to the tank. I double dosed the tank with prime - for the whole tank since my tap water has ammonia in it. To prevent my sand from being disturbed, I placed a quart plastic container in the tank, stuck the hose in it, and opened the shutoff valve. Once it filled, I closed the shutoff valve, returned to the bathroom, disconnected the hose and adapter - leaving it secured in the tub, reconnected the shower head, returned upstairs, opened the shutoff valve, and coiled up the hose as I walked back to the bathroom with the remaining water draining right into the tub!
The cost?
50 ft Hose - $10
adapter for shower pipe - $8
adapter for gravel vac - $5
shutoff valve - $4

Time spent: 10 minutes total!!
Time usually spent: Way too much.

CindiL

Nice! Great job
I do something similar, have tubing attached to my siphon that goes to the bathtub also.
Have a faucet adapter I can connect a regular garden hose to run water into a bin (where I need to aerate and heat my water due to ph issues). I use a fountain pump to get it from the bin to the tank
Very cheap.

BGKFan

looking to do something similar thanks for the idea

jroe263

looking to do something similar thanks for the idea

my pics were stock pics so they were taken down. LMK if you want any more details...

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
smalli
Replies
Views
Jonez
Replies
Views
Loki.x
Replies
Views