20 Gallon Tank My unplanned Kribensis breeding tank

Leeman75

In June, I purchased a pair of Kribs from a breeder on a whim when I was touring his home breeding business. I really was there to purchase a pair of Apistos for my 20 gallon hex tank, but the Kribs caught my eye and I've always wanted to keep them. So, I bought them.

Initially, they were in my boys' 10 gallon tank while they grew more and I got my 20 gallon high set up and cycled. Probably a month or so later, I moved them and they got some roommates in the form of 3 Platies, 1 Black Molly, and a few Panda Cories.

I never really planned on making this a breeding couple, hence all the tankmates. But a couple of weeks ago, to my surprise, I saw 6 little fry in the tank and was so excited!

I feed them very carefully over the next 10-12 days, but then a trip for work caused me to have to travel for almost a week. Though my 12 year old son was feeding all my tanks carefully, they somehow did not make it and we're gone when I returned last Wednesday.

Over this past weekend, I noticed the parents seemed to be especially aggressive and the other fish were hanging near the top or a corner for the Cories. So, when I did the water change, I moved the Molly and Platies to another tank. Sure enough, 2 days later, I have another brood of fry. This time, there are a TON of them!! I can't even tell how many, but I'm estimating 50 or so. The parents are so carefully watching over them and I even witnessed them move individuals by bringing them into their mouths and then spitting them out with in another area. I thought they were eating them at first, but then saw them just moving them.

So, I haven't started a Project or Journal Thread for a while, so thought I'd start a Krib Breeding Journal to watch and share the growing of the new babies and maybe more to come!!

Here's the Tank:
You must be registered to see images

And here's the parents with all dem childrens:

BradleyH2O

I love Kribs. Good luck and I’m looking forward to reading your journal.

BigManAquatics

Funny how that breeding thing works. Certainly didn't exactly plan on having my gudgeons or plecos breed in my 45, either!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AGAqua
Replies
Views
Leeman75
Replies
Views
Lady Indiana
  • Question
Replies