my two jack dempsy cichlids video

Discussion in 'Freshwater Videos' started by montgomery765, Nov 29, 2012.

1. m

montgomery765 New Member Member

here is the link to my video. I was wondering if anyone could tell if this is a male and a female. Since this lip fight on 11/25 the smaller more colorful one went into the log to hide and has not come out! not even to eat! Should I be worried?

2. midnamoondog

midnamoondog Well Known Member Member

Very pretty fish, but isn't a 30g a little small for them? From what I've browsed it seems like spawning behavior. Considering the size of the tank however, it could be territorial.

3. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

You have a male and a female. The one that is hiding may be protecting eggs. Smallest size of tank JD's should be in is a 55. Yours look like they are still growing.

Thanks for sharing the video. I like JD's :D

4. OP
    OP
    m

thanks! I know they need a bigger tank...these two were rescued and 30 gallon tanks are all that i have right now. I will surely get them into a bigger tank! Should i worry that the one hiding hasn't eaten in four days? Do they usually stop eating when they are protecting eggs? Also, I was thinking that the smaller brighter colored one that is hiding was the male< Do you think that's right? (that would be the one on the left side of the video.) Thanks for your help.

5. C

Left is male, right is female. 4 days isn't all that long to not eat.

6. OP
    OP
    m

great, thanks soo much!

7. OP
    OP
    m

The male finally came out and has stayed out for a couple of days now. He also finally ate some food today! They have been going at it with the lip locking and swimming side by side. no eggs yet and the female is staying resting at the top of the water now. They have tore each other up pretty good with the female taking most of the punishment. The male is swimming all around the tank and nudges her in the side every now and them but she is showing no interest in him now. Should i let them keep doing their thing or should I separate them?

8. C

I think one of the issues is that they don't have enough space. If you were to seperate them, where would you put one of them?

9. OP
    OP
    m

now they are back at it again, and i believe i can see eggs almost coming out of her belly. I found a bigger tank and am trying to make arrangements to pick up. If i had to separate them at this point i would probably use a divider until my bigger tank gets set up and cycled. I know they are naturally very aggressive during mating I'm just curious as to how far a pro breeder would let it go. The female is not at the top of the water now so I guess i should just wait it out.

10. OP
    OP
    m

she is staying next to him now...

11. Ziabis

Ziabis Well Known Member Member

Beautiful fish...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice