My turn. High nitrite even after WC

1. GoldenKillifish Member Member

Hey all I've been a bad lazy tank cycler. Doing an ammonia godless cycle on 20 gallon because it worked with 5 gallon. Forgot to dose ammonia for a few days then accidental overdose so everything ended up maxed out (ammonia 8ppm,nitrite off chart,nitrates 160). Tried adding Seachem stability for few days with no change . Finally did a 50% water change yesterday then added jungle start zyme and tested water today. Today's water parameters are this
    Nitrates:80
    Nitrites:eek:ff chart
    Ammonia:4ppm

Temperature is 78 and test kit is API master freshwater.
    Curious why nitrites weren't affected by water change. Also any further suggestions on how I can quicken the cycling.

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Most likely thing I can think of is that your nitrites are so far off the chart that even at half dilution the reading was still off the chart. Try taking a sample of water, diluting it by half, then dilute it by half again, then test. If you still get an unreadable result, dilute it again!

If I were you, I would just do massive back-to-back water changes to bring things down to a "normal" level and then carry on dosing Stability and ammonia.

3. GoldenKillifish Member Member

OK been uber busy. Managed to dose prime to lock things two weeks ago then did half water change today then added jungle bacteria starter
    Readings are as follows
    Temp 84
    Nitrates 20
    Nitrites off chart
    Ammonia 2ppm

Do not understand nitrites being so insane but others dropping I guess another water change

4. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Have you tested your tap water for nitrites?

5. GoldenKillifish Member Member

Yes . My tap only has 5 nitrates

6. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Have you tried taking a sample and diluting it repeatedly until you get a reading that's on the chart?

Can you please list everything you have in the tank?

7. GoldenKillifish Member Member

Sorry no haven't diluted that far.

I have black Petco sand,fake tree decoration, 3 fake plants (2 plastic, 1 silk). Heater,HOB filter,thermometer

8. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Were all of the decorations intended for aquarium use?

9. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

What's your waters PH? Ammonia and nitrite are "reducers" which play with hydrogen molecules in the water and lower the PH in your tank.

10. GoldenKillifish Member Member

Yes they are.

My tap water PH is 7.8

11. CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

You said your nitrates were 5 in your tap, what are your tap nitrites? If any.

This is what I would do. I would change out 90-100% water, get the nitrites back to 0 (unless they're in your tap and in that case, let us know how much). Re-dose ammonia to 2.0 and wait ... Until it hits 0 and see where your nitrites are then.

12. GoldenKillifish Member Member

OK finally did the diluting test and OMG.

1st dilution : finally on the chart 5ppm
    2nd-4th dilution: 5ppm what the hey
    Test tap just in case: 0

So to my frustration I guess my only option is to remove all the water unless someone has a better (easier) solution.

13. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

That's weird. Are you sure the dilutions weren't resulting in lower readings? After the first it looked like 5ppm but it could have been higher since that's as high as the test goes. Can you please try 4ppm tap water and 1ppm tank to start with and then go from there?

14. GoldenKillifish Member Member

Reading went from too high to read (turns green ) . To 5ppm when I added more tap. In the end I had 1/2 cup tank water to 2 cups tap.

15. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

That's only 4:1 though. What happens if you do 10:1?

16. GoldenKillifish Member Member

Will see. Done for tonight.

17. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Ok, maybe in the morning!

18. SuzanaBanana Member Member

Honestly i had this same issue, i did. 50% wc and 2 days later did a water test, and the nitrites were down

19. SuzanaBanana Member Member

How often and how much % do you take out during your wc?

20. GoldenKillifish Member Member

50% (takes like 20 mins due to using smaller hose because limited space )