My triple red cockatoo cichlids spawned!!!

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by hgrad98, Jul 20, 2015.

1. h

hgrad98 Valued Member Member

So I got a pair of triple reds a few weeks ago, and decided to not add any other fish to the tank. I did that just to see if they would breed. Anyways, today I got some Bolivian rams because they were on sale. Right after I put them in the tank, I noticed that the cockatoos were bullying them. Then I noticed that he female seemed to be protecting a cave, so I looked through the crack, and noticed that they had laid a batch.

What should I do?? Will the cockatoos bully the Bolivians to death? Or will the Bolivians eat the eggs? Should I move the eggs w/ the parents, or should I move the Bolivians? Thanks.

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Congrats on the spawn, I'd move the Bolivians so the cockatoos can raise their brood without the stress of having to defend them all the time. You've more chance of the fry surviving as well if they're in the tank with just the parents.

3. OP
    OP
    h

Ok thanks. That's what I'll do. Btw, I finally figured out what type of cockatoo they are. I've done research on them for about 5 hours to try to find the actual type they are. So, I found a picture of a male that looked identical to my male, and it was called a sunburst cockatoo cichlid. My male has complete red/orange fins, with no "cockatoo" Mark attributions.

4. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

IF there are no pictures, then they didn't do it. :;smack Let's see some photos!

5. OP
    OP
    h

I'll try to get some tomorrow. It's hard to even see them. I had made several caves before buying them, and they chose one. But they apparently didn't like the front of the cave, so they dug in behind it, and can access their own cave from a crack in the front. So the right angle is hard to get. I will try though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice