My Tinfoil Barbs hate the light

1. Tin Foil Fool Initiate Member

I have 4 tinfoils and if the light is on they just hide. When I shut off the light and they swim around like normal fish. Is this normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

It can be. The primary purpose of light as I understand it is plant growth and viewing by people. With enough ambient light, fish themselves don't need it. I like glass tops lately and with light only as bright as I need it, not too bright.

You can try training them to be less scared. Don't flip the light off just cause they freak out. Leave it on maybe offer some treats. Give them an area of coverage where they can get away from it. And maybe try not to stare at them. Turn the light on, offer a treat, walk away and spy on them lol.

My ranchus hate the light. I have to introduce it slowly. If i could do without I would but I have plants and they are recovering from septicemia so I need to be able to check their fins and bodies.

I would just be gentle and introduce slowly. Just some ideas I think might work. I have not yet tried them myself.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. Tin Foil Fool Initiate Member

Wow, thanks for the informative response.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum