My Tiger Oscar...

1. Tattnick88 Initiate Member

anyone know why my tiger oscar turns white and black on and off in the blink of an eye... seems perfectly fine other then that

2. 2211Nighthawk Well Known Member Member

Eh? The whole fish does? And literally in the blink of an eye or overnight? Gonna need a lot more infor then that. Pictures to please.

3. Tattnick88 Initiate Member

IMG_1177.JPG
    Ya sorry lol yes in the blink of an eye his whole body other then the orange goes white probably more like 85% of him and then all of a sudden he will be all black again or be half gray half black ive had him about 3 days so im thinking he might be stressed from the other cichlids i have.

4. Mike1995 Well Known Member Member

Oscars are known to change color based on surroundings and how they're feeling. What size tank do you have? I sure hope more than 75 gallons. Otherwise with other cichlids he'll be sure to create trouble.

5. Tattnick88 Initiate Member

I have them in the 75 right now but im putting them in a 125 gallon in the next month i just have to re seal the tank and get a canister filter for it before i can do that

6. Mike1995 Well Known Member Member

good stuff. I saw someone on here talking about having an Oscar in a 10 gallon.....so i was just checking :p
    i have a bunch of tanks 150g and up. If you're looking for any filtration suggestions, sun sun 304b are good canisters. I have 4 of them. Aquatop forza is another good one. Not many people know of them. Kind of a hidden gem!

7. Tattnick88 Initiate Member

Ya actually i am trying to figure out what the best way to go is for filtration. There are so many out there and so expensive lol. I was looking at the FX6 i think it was i know its alot bigger then what i need but hey lol. And i was told i should have 5x the GPH then what i have gallons in tank...

8. 2211Nighthawk Well Known Member Member

Canisters yes, big cichlid tank, I'd go even bigger. They're messy fish. :D

9. Tattnick88 Initiate Member

Like bigger canister u mean ? It said it does up to a 400 gallon tank. Or did u mean bigger tank lol

10. 2211Nighthawk Well Known Member Member

BOTH :D who dosen't need a bigger tank. No, talking specifically about 5x the filtration. Yes 5-6 is good for a canister but for messy fish, maybe 6-7 times gph. You can never have too much filtration. I don't know specifically about cichlids but for messy fish is general more filtration is always better. You can't have too much.

11. Tattnick88 Initiate Member

Ya i know cichlids are messy so ya thanks for the advice :)

12. 2211Nighthawk Well Known Member Member

I've heard wonderful things about those FX6's but I've also seen the price tag on those suckers. They ain't cheap.

And that's the extent of my filter advise. :D