Hugooo

Reaction score
Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 10 gallons
How long has the tank been running? On Monday, 4 weeks
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? No
What is the water temperature? Around 74 degrees Farenheit
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 2 neon tuxedo guppies, 1 red wag platy, 1 black molly, 2 tiger barbs, and 1 ghost shrimp

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? I haven't changed it yet - I'm planning on changing it this weekend. I know that I should change the water more often, but I couldn't get to it this time.
How much of the water do you change? N/A
What do you use to treat your water? Aqueon Water Conditioner, API Stress Coat+
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? N/A

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? No
What do you use to test the water? Nothing
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: I don't know
Nitrite: I don't know
Nitrate: I don't know
pH: I don't know

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? 2 times a day - morning around 6:30am and evening around 8-9:00pm
How much do you feed your fish? Around how much is recommended
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Aqueon Tropical Granules
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? Almost 4 weeks
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 2 days ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Finrot, and the top of it became very dark brown
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? I had purchased 2 tiger barbs, and the other one was chasing this particular one every day A LOT. One time, its stripes faded for a day or so, but then came back to normal. The top of it has turned very dark brown.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now) 1 of the tiger barbs had been having a bit of finrot recently, and I was planning to buy meds tomorrow. Today at around 3:30pm I found it at the top of the tank, floating upside down, but STILL BREATHING AND ALIVE. I transferred it to a plastic cup with filtered water from another thing I was doing. Right now it is still there, upside down, but breathing.

Community, please help me! What do I do? THANK YOU SO MUCH!

As always, criticism is accepted.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 10 gallons
How long has the tank been running? On Monday, 4 weeks
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? No
What is the water temperature? Around 74 degrees Farenheit
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 2 neon tuxedo guppies, 1 red wag platy, 1 black molly, 2 tiger barbs, and 1 ghost shrimp

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? I haven't changed it yet - I'm planning on changing it this weekend. I know that I should change the water more often, but I couldn't get to it this time.
How much of the water do you change? N/A
What do you use to treat your water? Aqueon Water Conditioner, API Stress Coat+
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? N/A

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? No
What do you use to test the water? Nothing
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: I don't know
Nitrite: I don't know
Nitrate: I don't know
pH: I don't know

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? 2 times a day - morning around 6:30am and evening around 8-9:00pm
How much do you feed your fish? Around how much is recommended
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Aqueon Tropical Granules
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? Almost 4 weeks
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 2 days ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Finrot, and the top of it became very dark brown
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? I had purchased 2 tiger barbs, and the other one was chasing this particular one every day A LOT. One time, its stripes faded for a day or so, but then came back to normal. The top of it has turned very dark brown.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now) 1 of the tiger barbs had been having a bit of finrot recently, and I was planning to buy meds tomorrow. Today at around 3:30pm I found it at the top of the tank, floating upside down, but STILL BREATHING AND ALIVE. I transferred it to a plastic cup with filtered water from another thing I was doing. Right now it is still there, upside down, but breathing.

Community, please help me! What do I do? THANK YOU SO MUCH!

As always, criticism is accepted.
I'm certain the problem your fish is having is because of toxic levels of nitrates, and possibly ammonia and nitrites as well. Do a 75% water change with dechlorinated water ASAP. Check your filter media and make sure it's not all clogged up with gunk. If it is don't change it just rinse it thoroughly with fresh, dechlorinated water. The filter media contains the bacteria you'r tank needs to process fish poop. Rinsing it will not remove the bacteria, but will remove loose gunk that is interfering with water flow past those bacteria attached to fibers. Take a few good pictures of the sick fish and post them here.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom