My three striped cory died...

darkcat

Hi guys...
I have a very bad news, one of my cories died. He was kept in a 20 gallon with 2 of the same kind of cories. I don't really know why he died. He was looking very pale and while I was researching, he died. I feel like I'm a bad at keeping cories because this is the 2nd time cory died. I removed the body.
IMG_20210515_190240315.jpg

Polish_20210515_191449735.jpg
I saw his barbells and his fins all right today's morning. Does the barbell and fins rip after they die?

bcsay720

I'm sorry that your cories are dying. What else do you have in your tank? It could have been picked at if it was in there long enough.

Upvote 0

darkcat

Neon tetras, a baby betta (don't worry, he only cares about food and since the tank is big, he never bothers any fishes.) gzl and 2 more cories of the same type.

Upvote 0

bcsay720

Yes, the tetras probably went for a nibble. How long ago did you get the cories? Did they appear stressed and did you quarantine them?

Upvote 0

darkcat

I quarantined my cory for about a week. I never saw the tetras nibble tho. No, the cory didn't looked stressed. He was with a cory while he was quarantining. He was very active and not pale. He was only pale yesterday.

Upvote 0

bcsay720

How much were you feeding and what kind of food?

Upvote 0

darkcat

I feed hikari sinking wafers. Everyday or every other day. Sometimes my betta eats it tho. I feed then 3/4 pieces.

Upvote 0

Mcasella

Honestly, from the pictures, he looks thin/angular - cories can be difficult to get back to gaining weight after they have been fasted and have had stress from shipping. I would start feeding the cories after your lights are out (they have no issue sniffing out the food, most become active searching for it shortly after it goes into the water) so the betta isn't eating more than he needs.

A stressed fish is often a sick fish, a week of QT will not show much of anything nor would it be enough time to get them properly eating. Two weeks is the minimum when starting a fish in Qt to see if anything shows up, some diseases can take much longer than 2 weeks to show up.

Upvote 0

darkcat

I had him for 1 month or more and he was fine. Nothing wrong. It was only on Saturday that he looked pale.

Upvote 0

Mcasella

I had him for 1 month or more and he was fine. Nothing wrong. It was only on Saturday that he looked pale.
He may have not had the necessary gut bacteria to make it much longer. If the belly is shallow or indented they generally won't make it long term (had several that acted fine then dropped out of the blue because they weren't able to actually gain nutrients from the food offered despite eating it).

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
  • Question
Replies
Views
BettaFishObsessed
Replies
Views
Ellebrius