My Three Corys

jri4

Valued Member
Reaction score
I went to Petsmart yesterday to pick up a few new items for the tank, including some Corys. They had two emeralds which I bought, a handful of peppered, and one spotted that was alone with a pleco in a tank, barely moving. I picked out the two emeralds easily, then thought 'what the heck' might was well get the spotted guy as well. Unfortunately, the stupid store worker managed to squish him up against the glass trying to catch him (it was awful...) I have a 14 day guarantee, but he isn't doing so good. He just sits at the bottom, and sometimes begins floating sideways before correcting himself. At least I have hope, but it is better that he dies under my watch than in front of people at the store. He was so cute, and small too. I am keeping an eye on him...

My emeralds are doing great... They work wonders to help clean the food out of the gravel in the bottom! Maybe I'll get pics soon. My danios are interested in their new friends; not fighting them, but definitely letting the corys know that this is their tank!

wolfman21

Valued Member
Reaction score
That's unfortunate about the peppered cory, those guys are so cool, too! I love the combination of danios and cories, that will be pretty cool. you should definitely put up some pics so we can see what they look like. Hopefully the peppered cory gets better, you never know what will happen! Have fun with the others, though.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
jri4 said:
I went to Petsmart yesterday to pick up a few new items for the tank, including some Corys. They had two emeralds which I bought, a handful of peppered, and one spotted that was alone with a pleco in a tank, barely moving. I picked out the two emeralds easily, then thought 'what the heck' might was well get the spotted guy as well. Unfortunately, the stupid store worker managed to squish him up against the glass trying to catch him (it was awful...) I have a 14 day guarantee, but he isn't doing so good. He just sits at the bottom, and sometimes begins floating sideways before correcting himself. At least I have hope, but it is better that he dies under my watch than in front of people at the store. He was so cute, and small too. I am keeping an eye on him...

My emeralds are doing great... They work wonders to help clean the food out of the gravel in the bottom! Maybe I'll get pics soon. My danios are interested in their new friends; not fighting them, but definitely letting the corys know that this is their tank!
It's sad how carelessly they treat the fish - when we got our platies, the guy couldn't even make the effort to take care when he poured them from the container into a bag & we had to rescue the girls from the floor and the sink drain. I hope the little guy gets better and maybe dropping some thawed frozen pea pieces in around him would help him and if not, at least give him a tasty treat.. maybe strength to recover from the gentle hands of the pet store worker.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hopefully the Spotted Cory will be alright. That's why I don't like buying fish anywhere besides lfs's...the people at chain pet stores just don't know what they're doing with fish (well some of them do, but not a lot of them).

FL Couple--that's horrible about him spilling the Platys. Never heard of that one before. I would've been so mad if someone dropped my fish like that.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
0morrokh said:
FL Couple--that's horrible about him spilling the Platys. Never heard of that one before. I would've been so mad if someone dropped my fish like that.
Yea, we weren't happy when his reaction was "uh, want some other ones?" No, thanks. i think we'll save these from YOU! - He's still not as bad as the one who thinks Bettas live in mud puddles and complains to customers about having to change water for the fish. :

jri4 - Please let us know how the little guy does. He deserves to pull thru and have a good, owner that will love & take care of him and we know you'll give him every chance to get back to being a hyper cory.

bbfeckawitts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Good luck with him, I have 3 emerald cories. Heres a picture of one of them, Bitsy. When I got her she literally had NO tail, I was a bit upset that the guy at Petco gave me that one, but it grew back very nicely. She looks much different from my others, she has a black "stripe" running down her side, and shes more of a brown/black then emerald green. I kinda wonder if she even is a emerald corydora. :-\

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
bbfeckawitts said:
Good luck with him, I have 3 emerald cories. Heres a picture of one of them, Bitsy. When I got her she literally had NO tail, I was a bit upset that the guy at Petco gave me that one, but it grew back very nicely. She looks much different from my others, she has a black "stripe" running down her side, and shes more of a brown/black then emerald green. I kinda wonder if she even is a emerald corydora. :-\
She's got great color. I'm not sure if she's a emerald or not either but I think she is since copper & green seem to have a relation so maybe that's why her color is like that.

Bonochick

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Aww, I hope the little guy will be all right. :'(

wolfman21

Valued Member
Reaction score
bbfeckawitts said:
I kinda wonder if she even is a emerald corydora. :-\
From fisrt glance it does look like a emerald green cory, the ligth dims it a little, but some of them don't have brilliant colors. But with the associates you seem to have at the pet store, I wouldn't doubt if it isn't. How is the peppered cory doing?

jri4

Valued Member
Reaction score
here is a run thru of his status and conditions day by day.

Day 1 (Monday): Sitting at Petsmart, alone, not moving (then smashed against glass by idiot worker and net)

Day 2: In my tank, sitting still on gravel, then begins to float to his side and correct himself. At one point he was belly up for a while before flipping back over and settling down once again. (Noticed his fins have small, tiny rips, thinking possibly attacked before I got him since my Danios are not bothering him.)

Day 3: Moving and swimming in tank, scuffling at a few scraps. No more floating on side or belly.

Day 4 (Thursday, today): Same condition, swims easier, regular breathing, eating a little more.

I think he'll pull thru! Because of that, his/her name is LUCKY!

bbfeckawitts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
jri4 said:
here is a run thru of his status and conditions day by day.

Day 1 (Monday):  Sitting at Petsmart, alone, not moving (then smashed against glass by idiot worker and net)

Day 2:  In my tank, sitting still on gravel, then begins to float to his side and correct himself.  At one point he was belly up for a while before flipping back over and settling down once again.  (Noticed his fins have small, tiny rips, thinking possibly attacked before I got him since my Danios are not bothering him.)

Day 3:   Moving and swimming in tank, scuffling at a few scraps. No more floating on side or belly.

Day 4 (Thursday, today):  Same condition, swims easier, regular breathing, eating a little more.

I think he'll pull thru!  Because of that, his/her name is LUCKY!
Thats great that he is pulling through! It was so nice of you to take him.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Great name, glad he/she had some luck and was rescued from the pet store people and is pulling thru. Tough little cory cat.

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It's painful to watch them get the fish out of the tanks. The tank where I got my cory's out of had female bettas in it and the person "helping" me was only able to get 1 Cory with every swipe of the net. Of course this also included 1 of the female Bettas, so she proceeded to either dump both into the container or use her hand to pick up the betta and put it back. Fortunately my Cory's are all happy and healthy, no thanks to the pet store though.

Glad to hear things are looking up for your little one!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

bbfeckawitts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Luniyn said:
It's painful to watch them get the fish out of the tanks. The tank where I got my cory's out of had female bettas in it and the person "helping" me was only able to get 1 Cory with every swipe of the net. Of course this also included 1 of the female Bettas, so she proceeded to either dump both into the container or use her hand to pick up the betta and put it back. Fortunately my Cory's are all happy and healthy, no thanks to the pet store though.

Glad to hear things are looking up for your little one!
Isn't it the truth? I prefer to get our fish out myself at the pet store.. especially after the one guy got frustrated trying to get our corys and was like "you wanna try catching them?".

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
FLBettaCouple said:
Isn't it the truth? I prefer to get our fish out myself at the pet store.. especially after the one guy got frustrated trying to get our corys and was like "you wanna try catching them?".
Wow that would be nice. I'm going to ask next time if they will let me. One guy thought be was being funny using karate moves to keep air in the bag before he tied it off (was using jolting quick grabs at the top of the bag to get a lot of air trapped inside). He looked up at me with a big smile as if looking for my approval, the expression on my face was anything but happy. After that it was "here you go sir", "is there anything else sir that I can do for you sir?"..... "Uhhhh.... no."

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Luniyn said:
Wow that would be nice. I'm going to ask next time if they will let me. One guy thought be was being funny using karate moves to keep air in the bag before he tied it off (was using jolting quick grabs at the top of the bag to get a lot of air trapped inside). He looked up at me with a big smile as if looking for my approval, the expression on my face was anything but happy. After that it was "here you go sir", "is there anything else sir that I can do for you sir?"..... "Uhhhh.... no."
LOL, that's incredible! WHAT was he thinking?! Maybe someone needs to take away his copy of the Matrix or something.

They'll probably let you get your fish out if they're like the people at the petco in our town who seem to have about zero-interest in the fish and don't mind customers doing the work themselves. Most of the time, it's hard to even get helped back there. Some of the many reasons we're only going to Petco for rescue bettas and our fish business is going to the DFS website.
Maybe we need a new thread - "stupid LFS-employee tricks"?

jri4

Valued Member
Reaction score
wow, i thought i had it bad! Well, my cory is doing much better. But instead of the two emeralds swimming together, my spotted (Lucky) swims with the bigget Emerald (Chewbacca AKA Chewie the Cory), while the other emerald does his own thing. I think the spotted feels secure following the Emerald around all day! I never would have expected that...

Someone really should start a horrible LFS employee thread!

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I've seen that behavior at pet stores. There was a tank with very large Panda cory's and very, very tiny false julii's. The rest of the tank was filled with 1-1/2" to close to 2" Dwarf Gouramis which I think scared the little false julii's which couldn't have even been an inch long. All they did was hang out right next to the Panda's the entire time. If a Panda moved, they moved right with it. If the Panda sat and did nothing, they sat and did nothing. I guess they just feel comfortable with a bodyguard. Glad to hear he's doing better.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom