My thoughts on Marimo Balls

Butterfly

First let me clarify. What I'm refering to is Marimo Algae balls (Cladophora aegagrophila)

They are truly algae but some unscrupulous sellers are selling moss balls which are only Java Moss rolled into a ball. So be sure you're getting what you want when you buy. I have owned them in the past and know you can tell the difference by looking

Anyway we've had several threads about Marimo balls lately and I've been doing some reading here and there and have found the subject fascinating.

Here are some of the things I've found :
1) I didn't know they were found in Iceland as well as Japan.

2) They have their own website and we were not the first to think of putting them in glass jars
They have their own love struck legend paragraph 11

3) According to Christal Kasselmann in her plant book Aquarium Plants there have been Marimo balls found as big
as 20-21 cm(approx 8-9 inches) and are estimated to be 14-16 yrs old.

4) They've even been on stamps-
removed

Just thought I would share
Carol

AshWolFF

Who knew Marimo Alagae Balls are so popular. They sell them a lot where I live you could walk into any pet store or aquatic/pond store and find them all by themselves lined up in glass jam jars or stacked up in the tanks with the fish even in the indoor ponds!

I had one in my 30 gallon but my Rainbow shark wittled it down and finally ate the entire thing after 5-6 months he was in the tank. The same with Java Moss. Put some in the tank and he ate it...I still am getting java moss growing in the intake tube and filter of my Fluval C4 (very annoying).

Butterfly

They are unique

They were also declared National Treasures in Japan and Iceland. That is so cool!
carol

APColorado

My oldest one is probably 12 to 13 years old now. I've had them for ages in my tank and my father's pond when I couldn't take care of them. Very undemanding plant/algae.

Here is a link in post #5 is my oldest one.

Aquarist

Thanks Carol!

Loving my Marimo's!

Ken

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
fluffballsco
  • Question
Replies
Views