My thoughts on Dwarf Gourami/Trichogaster Lalius

My thoughts on Dwarf Gourami/Trichogaster Lalius

jinjerJOSH22
Member
jinjerJOSH22 submitted a new resource:

My thoughts on Dwarf Gourami/Trichogaster Lalius - a sad fish....

One of the most commonly kept Gourami and at a glance it's easy to see why. Their striking colours could give even marine fish a run for their money ranging from brilliant reds to dreamy blues, these fish simply put are gems of the freshwater hobby. At a fraction of the price of fish like Discus they are also a fraction of the size of Discus making them more suitable for the home aquarium. Seldom will they get over 3” and anything over 15 gallons should be fine for one long term. Reading...
Read more about this resource...
 
StinkyLoaf
Member
Thanks for making this. I once had four dwarf gouramis and one got ill, infecting and killing off the other three as well as itself. I had a similar incident with another overbred fish I once pushed my luck with in the form of neon tetras.

So many hobbyists seem to recommend this fish as a centrepiece for community aquariums, but I cannot bring myself to recommend it in any situation. So many hobbyists must see this.
 
RayClem
Member
I have a couple in a 55 gallon tank. The tank is well planted so they have plenty of places to hide if the other becomes aggressive. I would not want to keep them in a tank smaller than a 29 gal, even though they are not too large for a 20 gal. They seem to benefit from the extra room.
 
Leeman75
Member
It is a sad story to where these fish have come to...one of my LFSs won't even stock them anymore because of all the issues that you outlined here.
 
  • Thread Starter
jinjerJOSH22
Member
CrustyDusty said:
Thanks for making this. I once had four dwarf gouramis and one got ill, infecting and killing off the other three as well as itself. I had a similar incident with another overbred fish I once pushed my luck with in the form of neon tetras.

So many hobbyists seem to recommend this fish as a centrepiece for community aquariums, but I cannot bring myself to recommend it in any situation. So many hobbyists must see this.
Thank you for the feedback.

This is exactly why I made this, it's such a common occurrence.
RayClem said:
I have a couple in a 55 gallon tank. The tank is well planted so they have plenty of places to hide if the other becomes aggressive. I would not want to keep them in a tank smaller than a 29 gal, even though they are not too large for a 20 gal. They seem to benefit from the extra room.
Thank you for the comment

I also think they benefit from having that extra space, though that can be said for a lot of fish. It's really hard to sell someone that a 30" aquarium isn't ideal for a fish as small as Dwarf Gourami. It's a shame.
Dunk2 said:
Great article jinjerJOSH22. Hopefully it will help to avoid some of the many mistakes folks make in keeping these fish.
Thank you, it would be nice to think that this could help.
Leeman75 said:
It is a sad story to where these fish have come to...one of my LFSs won't even stock them anymore because of all the issues that you outlined here.
It is very sad. That store has my respect, it takes guts to do something about it.
 
StinkyLoaf
Member
jinjerJOSH22 said:
It's really hard to sell someone that a 30" aquarium isn't ideal for a fish as small as Dwarf Gourami. It's a shame.
Yep, there’s another issue. You can’t determine the tank size requirement just by looking at the fish! It’s easy to make this mistake with DGs.
 
Aquaholic
Member
StinkyLoaf said:
Thanks for making this. I once had four dwarf gouramis and one got ill, infecting and killing off the other three as well as itself. I had a similar incident with another overbred fish I once pushed my luck with in the form of neon tetras.

So many hobbyists seem to recommend this fish as a centrepiece for community aquariums, but I cannot bring myself to recommend it in any situation. So many hobbyists must see this.
I myself was going to get a Dwarf Gourami. I’ve been longing to get one. Should I avoid it? I really love the look of these fish.. but now reading this article has really opened my eyes. Would I be better off with a tiger barb (preferably 6)?
 
  • Thread Starter
jinjerJOSH22
Member
Aquaholic said:
I myself was going to get a Dwarf Gourami. I’ve been longing to get one. Should I avoid it? I really love the look of these fish.. but now reading this article has really opened my eyes. Would I be better off with a tiger barb (preferably 6)?
It depends on what else is in the tank but you could consider a Paradise Gourami, they are similar in terms of colour but are more personable in my experience.
Tiger Barbs are great, though come with their own problems mostly fin nipping. Kept in a small group with an abundance of males and soon you'll likely end up with one. Keep them in a larger group with few males and you'll likely experience a very entertaining fish and one that is a joy to keep. By larger group I mean 10 plus.
 
The_fishy
Member
The health things are a very good point. In my experience, I’ve found that the fish are way more peaceful when in a very large tank and the typical recommended size is too small for their territoriality. I have three males in a 120 long community and they tend to hang out somewhat close and don’t bother anything. When in a 10 gallon at the store though, it was constant aggression and fin nipping.
 

Latest threads

Top Bottom