My thoughts on a 20 gallon tropical tank set-up; anyone have advice/positive feedback?

Dexsting

So I've had a goldfish for awhile and also a planted tank with some shrimp/snails. Going to finally move over to a tropical tank setup now that I'm used to feeding/weekly water change care/etc.

This is my thought after lots of internet research...but I know how the internet is and having real people give me feedback would be appreciated.

It's a 29 gallon tank; approximately 24"x12"x16" (LxWxH).

1 German Blue Ram
2 Sparkling Gourami
5 Kuhli Loach (hard time figuring if 5 was minimum or if 4 would work of if it needs to be 6)
6 X-Ray Tetra (hard time figuring if 6 was minimum or if 4 or 5 would work)
Maybe a couple mystery or nerite snails.

Feel free to rip me to shreds if this doesn't sound good. I do know I'll get the tank planted and cycled for a bit before adding these fish. Maybe the Tetras and Loaches first, than after another week or so add the GBR & Gourami? Or should I space out when I add the GBR and Gourami's separately as well?

RomanNoodles96

Well Known
Dexsting said:
So I've had a goldfish for awhile and also a planted tank with some shrimp/snails. Going to finally move over to a tropical tank setup now that I'm used to feeding/weekly water change care/etc.

This is my thought after lots of internet research...but I know how the internet is and having real people give me feedback would be appreciated.

1 German Blue Ram
2 Sparkling Gourami
5 Kuhli Loach (hard time figuring if 5 was minimum or if 4 would work of if it needs to be 6)

Feel free to rip me to shreds if this doesn't sound good. I do know I'll get the tank planted and cycled for a bit before adding these fish. Maybe the Tetras and Loaches first, than after another week or so add the GBR & Gourami? Or should I space out when I add the GBR and Gourami's separately as well?
I would get a quarantine tank. I know you may think you don't need one, but I've brought internal parasites into my tank and columnaris. If you aren't going to quarantine at least get the fish from a reputable source.

Tallen78

Dexsting said:

1 German Blue Ram
2 Sparkling Gourami

Why only one ram

OP
Dexsting

Dexsting

I got a new tank I'll be using; planted tank is going away and goldfish tank sticking around separate.

One Ram is because I wasn't sure with tank size and the other variety of fish I wanted though it was best just one? Also thought it seemed 1 Ram was all that was good in a tank this size?

jkkgron2

Well Known
I would up the kuhlis and tetras to 8. Then the gouramis to 5. You also may be able to add in another ram, not sure.

Tallen78

Dexsting said:
I got a new tank I'll be using; planted tank is going away and goldfish tank sticking around separate.

One Ram is because I wasn't sure with tank size and the other variety of fish I wanted though it was best just one? Also thought it seemed 1 Ram was all that was good in a tank this size?
Ok ,imo I would go with 2 at least of same sex

jkkgron2

Well Known
Tallen78 said:
I have 9 in a 160 with 120 other fish 3 males 6 female
But in a 29g it’s a lot different. A group of 4 without increasing the kuhlis or gouramis would work better. Plus, you have a lot more fish to spread out aggression. If you were to just take out 2 males and house them together you’ll likely see different behavior.

Tallen78

jkkgron2 said:
But in a 29g it’s a lot different. A group of 4 without increasing the kuhlis or gouramis would work better. Plus, you have a lot more fish to spread out aggression. If you were to just take out 2 males and house them together you’ll likely see different behavior.
U have to create them places to claim on opposite sides of the tank and arrange ur decor in such a way it breaks up the lines of sight

chodovet

Dexsting said:
Those dimensions aren't right for a 29 gallon - sounds like a 20 gallon tall. A standard 29 is 30"x12"x18". Calculator for your dimensions says 20 gal. So figure out which is right, your gallons or your dimensions...!

OP
Dexsting

Dexsting

chodovet said:
Those dimensions aren't right for a 29 gallon - sounds like a 20 gallon tall. A standard 29 is 30"x12"x18". Calculator for your dimensions says 20 gal. So figure out which is right, your gallons or your dimensions...!
Holy.....I bought this totally thinking it was 29....It definitely is 20! Oh boy....Nice catch!

OP
Dexsting

Dexsting

bobduhgeek said:
Have you looked at this? Aquarium Calculator - Fish Tank Volume, Heater Size, Chiller Size & More! I always use this to get an idea if things are going to "fit" At the end of the day, every aquarium setup is different. As long as you are not harming the livestock - it's what you like that determines the outcome. Every setup is a new learning experience.
Thanks, I did know about AqAdvisor, but I wanted to talk to people and not just trust it's calculations.

OP
Dexsting

Dexsting

Maybe I'll just nix the X-Rays. So Pygmi Gourami's are good at 5? I should get 2 GBRs rather than a solitary one? 6 Kuhli's?

OP
Dexsting

Dexsting

Sorry, to follow-up too. Best to get the tank planted, and cycle for a weekish; then best way to add the fish? All at once, one set at a time?

SnookusFish

Well Known
Dexsting said:
Sorry, to follow-up too. Best to get the tank planted, and cycle for a weekish; then best way to add the fish? All at once, one set at a time?
You dont cycle for a weekish, you cycle until the tank is cycled. Letting the tank run does not cycle it. Unless your plan is to add media from your goldfish tank and let it run for a week.

OP
Dexsting

Dexsting

bobduhgeek said:
Quarantine, then add a few at a time. How do you plan to cycle the tank?
I've read a few things, was going to get to it. Whatever I decide I'll follow until I believe it to be fully cycled before adding these fish. Just seemed the few places I saw so far said it takes about a week.

RomanNoodles96

Well Known
Dexsting said:
I've read a few things, was going to get to it. Whatever I decide I'll follow until I believe it to be fully cycled before adding these fish. Just seemed the few places I saw so far said it takes about a week.
It will take at least a week, probably around 3. If you use bottled bacteria like seachem stability or tetra safe start it will be faster. I would read up more on the cycle.

bobduhgeek

Dexsting said:
Just finished cycling a planted tank, took 30 days. I've done it in less with media from an existing cycled tank. This time I wanted a clean start and I'm in no hurry. I have 8 fish in my quarantine tank that I started around the same time. Best practice is to quarantine for 45 days. I learned the hard way. Had a camalanus infestation that caused me to wipe out my entire tank and start over. By the time I figured out what it was it was too late. Error on the side of caution. Take your time and do it right.

OP
Dexsting

Dexsting

I appreciate everyone's help! I'm in no rush. I want to get it done right and be successful!

New Threads