My tetras have ICH

  1. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

    I know this is ich :( Ive put all 8 tetras in the 10 gallon qt.How can I get rid of it my heater is preseat is there any meds I have Mts in it help me out! Im also making sure my Gbr dont get it (crosses-fingers)
     
  2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member


  3. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

    Ughhh! Can I use salt with shrimp and snails??And what kind can I use?

    its the new 4 tetras I got on thursday does still mean my whole tank is affected? I should have Qt them at first!
     

  4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

    I wouldnt use salt and just go with the higher temps method....that usually will do the trick...and its safe...
    Once you can see the ich with the nekid eye, your tank has been exposed and should be treated entirely :(
     

  5. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

    i have to treat both tanks aww well Ill make sure its gone!

    I got confused in the article should I gravel vac everyday and do water changes?
     
  6. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

    I would slowly get the heat up...then yes do daily gravel vacs, add an extra air stone as warmer temps have less oxygen. Both tanks should go through this process now :( Or you can take a chance that your main tank wont get it. It would be your decision to make
     
  7. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

    ill do it for both tanks just in case I have alot of air going into my tank i should be good:D
     
  8. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

    Can I use ICH attack its all natural so it wont have any affect on shrimp.Has anyone had succes with it?
     
  9. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

    You shouldn't use meds unless absolutely necessary. It's not necessary at all with ich. Just follow the steps you've been given above.
     
  10. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

    You have gotten some great advice. Heat is all you need.

    As your entire tank needs treatment, move the neons back. Follow the link in my signature about curing ich naturally. It will explain the lifecycle and why meds fail. Plus having inverts and live plants further means no meds (they contain copper and will will your shrimp and snails) and no salt (many fish and most plants cannot tolerate it).
     
  11. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

    If the fish are infested, IMO meds are necessary to provide immediate relief. At that point, the heat method is just as likely to kill the fish as the meds. At least with the meds, the fish doesn't have to wait a week, which it might not make if it's infested. Things get worse before they get better with heat, and worse could very well do the fish in. Ich is VERY easy to treat, but it's important to begin treatment before things get out of hand. You really shouldn't have to use meds...
     
  12. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

    Update did a 50% water change with gravel vac.I can see most of the fish with spots on fins not on the body yet hopefully it goes away!
     
  13. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

    Once it spreads to the body is when things start really going down hill. That's the point I would say the fish is infested, and it's losing the battle...
     
  14. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

    if its on the body should i use the Meds?

    Its all natural so it doent effect inverts so i should be good
     
  15. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

    Once they spread to the body, you'll start seeing more and more spots faster. It's a judgement call - I'm just saying that at that point, the scales are tipping in the ICH's favor. Treatment at this point is vital. Once the spots reach the body, it doesn't take long to cover the fish (e.g. too many to count). Meds should really be a last resort - the fish really shouldn't be allowed to reach that point.
     
  16. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

    Im doing all I can so hopefully it gets better
     
  17. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

    Yup, that's all you can do. Just make sure to follow the instructions and always complete treatments. Even if the fish looks okay, finish the treatment. The number one reason ich comes back is because the treatment was not finished.
     
  18. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

    It says treatment for 1 week does it hurt to do longer So I can make sure?
     
  19. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

    It probably says a second treatment can be done. After 2 treatments, I would switch to another brand. Truthfully, if the first treatment didn't work I wouldn't use it again.
     
  20. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

    Your talikng about the meds i thought you where talking about the heat method.