My tank

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I have 3 tanks, 2 more arriving this week. In purple are the fish I don't have yet:

150L (30 gallon) community tank: due to arrive 1 June! Thinking of putting all my mollies in there.
  • mollies: 2 males + 3 females (incl. balloon molly) + 2 [purple]new females I want to buy. 1 white, 1 black. [/purple]
  • 1 or 2 small, compatible algae eater
72L (14.4G) pleco tank:
  • 3 baby common plecos. I know, tank still too small for them
  • thinking of couple of new fish of whatever species would be compatible
50L (10 gallon) guppy tank: will become boyfriend's tank. I've contaminated him with my MTS!
  • He wants to have lots of guppies
  • and a bristlenose or other small pleco
30L (6G): hospital tank. Thinking of maybe having a betta there instead, and using the nursery/quarantaine as hospital tank too.

25L (5 gallon) nursery/quarantaine tank: 13 molly fry

Here's my tiny common pleco next to a marble for scale. Just a baby. Difficult to believe he's going to get huge! He was doing really great in a tank full of mollies and 2 other plecos but I had to move my plecos to another tank so I could medicate all my mollies.

And here's my favorite: my female balloon molly. I didn't realize/think they were genetically modified when I got her, so I guess I'll have to boycot that species now, which is a real shame. She has the best personallity. Very endearing. Very brave, a gluttonous eater, and never aggressive (unlike some of my molly females). She just kind of potters about. She's really nosy and likes attention. Fabulous little fish.

And here's my 2 males. I have no idea precisely which race the golden molly is but the gonopodium makes it clearly a male. Pretty convinced he's a molly, not a platty, although the shop sold it to me as a platty (female)! For once, these guys aren't fighting. Very rare opportunity. Can't wait til my bigger tank is arrived/cycled so they've got more space/females. Currently, 60L for 2 males and 3 females. Not ideal.

Here's my female gold/dalmatian molly. I keep thinking she's got fin rot because of the stupid pattern on her tail. She's a right bully when food time comes. She's also a heat freak. Often hanging around the thermostat.

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
great photos of your fish! I just love the dalmation molly... ;D Good luck with them!

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Excellent photos! Your fish look great!

Bonochick

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Beautiful fish!!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Those are some great pics of your fish.. i didn't know of balloon mollys before or them being genetically modified, that's a shame.

PrayforMojo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Beautiful tank.
mojo

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nice tank and fish.

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
FLBettaCouple said:
Those are some great pics of your fish.. i didn't know of balloon mollys before or them being genetically modified, that's a shame.
Yes, it's really unfortunate as that one's got the greatest personality. What they do is selectively breed fish suffering from severe scoliosis (bent spine), which gives them the pot belly. The squashing of their organs, and the extra strain on swimming due to their less than ideal morphology is supposed to reduce their life span. I certainly hope that mine is an exception as I am very attached!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
armadillo said:
Yes, it's really unfortunate as that one's got the greatest personality. What they do is selectively breed fish suffering from severe scoliosis (bent spine), which gives them the pot belly. The squashing of their organs, and the extra strain on swimming due to their less than ideal morphology is supposed to reduce their life span. I certainly hope that mine is an exception as I am very attached!
I hope so too. We have 4 platy fry with that condition. (I think from them being the product of in-store inbreeding.) They still have all the platy personality though.

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
We just got fry! My boyfriend noticed about 10 this morning, but I was only back tonight so I could only save 5. Ah well. Natural selection needs to do its job in my badly overcrowded situation. Can't wait for that bigger tank to arrive. Put the fry in the hospital-turned-nursery tank. They are dwarved by my 40L!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
armadillo said:
We just got fry! My boyfriend noticed about 10 this morning, but I was only back tonight so I could only save 5. Ah well. Natural selection needs to do its job in my badly overcrowded situation. Can't wait for that bigger tank to arrive. Put the fry in the hospital-turned-nursery tank. They are dwarved by my 40L!
do you know which fish gave you the fry? keep an eye out the next few days for more and search the tank thoroughly for more that are hiding (with him ready with the net to grab the fry before a nearby fish can). our platy fry were amazingly good at hiding.. i kept finding more everytime that i was certain i'd found them all when i searched for them.

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Boyfriend as a theory about the mother: the large golden nugget (pictured in one of the boxes above). No idea who the father is, although more than likely our aggressive dalmatian sailfin. Golden male was not mature until a couple of weeks back.

Found another one: that's 6. Some are dalmatian silver, one is very dark silver, one is jet black (yeah! black molly gene resurfacing). Who knows what they'll look like in a few weeks' time, but it's fun guessing!

I have the feeling I won't find anymore, but never say never, as they were indeed amazingly good at hiding. It's a wonder any of them got munched!

Here's a picture of the light-grey wide-eye one. He looks like a manga character!

And here's the same one from close-up.

My fry

Here's another couple. For some reason the fry seems to like to stick around in schools of 2 or 3. They are sooo shy, though. I guess it's not for no reason they're still alive. Good hiders, good hiders. Meet my SAS fry! Feels like they'd survive anything (am I tempting fate?).

FLBettaCouple said:
armadillo said:
do you know which fish gave you the fry? keep an eye out the next few days for more and search the tank thoroughly for more that are hiding (with him ready with the net to grab the fry before a nearby fish can). our platy fry were amazingly good at hiding.. i kept finding more everytime that i was certain i'd found them all when i searched for them.
After a good search through the tank, am thinking there will be more, but I'll only save the ones I find. I won't have another deep search. We are overcrowded as we are so am thinking of letting nature take its course on the few remaining ones. They must be smart if neither I nor their hungry parents/uncles/aunties have found them!

Here's my tanks from a distance. Small one (40L) is where my fry live, 'big' one is for the adults (60L).

I like this picture because you can see the pleco eating his cucumber, quite undisturbed (right of their little house). Oh, and of course the male sailfin molly is up to no good, again...

Talking of the little house. What a purchase. They simply love it. Especially my 2 more shy plecos who spend the whole day in it. They only come out at night to my great dispair.

I know, 3 plecos for such little floor surface is really not good. I asked the fish store and they said it was fine. A way larger tank is on its way (ordered it last week) and will try to re-house a couple of plecos.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Cute little fry.

lolagurl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
armadillo said:
FLBettaCouple said:
i did not know this, i have one beautiful balloon molly. she is orange gorgeous long fins (for a molly) and am very attached to her aswell...i hope mine is also a exception! :-[

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
lolagurl said:
armadillo said:
FLBettaCouple said:
i did not know this, i have one beautiful balloon molly. she is orange gorgeous long fins (for a molly) and am very attached to her aswell...i hope mine is also a exception! :-[
Oh wow. Long fins and orange. That must look really cool.

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nice pictures. I wish I could get common plecos too but I don't have enough space.

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Stradius011 said:
Nice pictures. I wish I could get common plecos too but I don't have enough space.
Thanks! I wish I'd known I didn't have enough space. I feel very bad for them. They seem to be growing now and I have still not really found a solution to re-house them properly.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Do you know any pet stores that would take them - or a friend with a small pond that doesn't get too cold?

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
That is what I am thinking of at the moment. Just keeping one in my 150L and giving the other 2 away to a friend preferably, and failing that, to a shop. The thing is, I am still looking for a shop that will refuse to sell it to the wrong owner.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
armadillo said:
That is what I am thinking of at the moment. Just keeping one in my 150L and giving the other 2 away to a friend preferably, and failing that, to a shop. The thing is, I am still looking for a shop that will refuse to sell it to the wrong owner.
yea, that is a hard thing to find.. if you find one though, they might be a good place to buy fish since they'd show more concern for their fish.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom