My Tank Went Absolutely Mad Today Help 

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I had decided by my testing that my tank was cycled but was still in a sensitive getting stable mode but that it was basically cycled (Ammonia:0, Nitrite: 0 and some Nitrate) everything had been moving along quite well. I write down all my results and everything everyday so I can look back. (I use API Liquid test) I even decided to tentatively go with out changing the water (I was still changing everyday) while I tested frequently and It stayed Ammonia 0 and Nitrite 0 and my nitrate went up from 0-5, 10, 10, 20. It seemed to be doing allot better Nitrate wise as I was no longer getting large 20-40 everyday...it all seemed to be getting more stable.

I did notice my PH was a little weird where I used to get 7.4-6 to now getting a lower then an even lower 6.4-8 (can't say for sure but it's like its staying about 6.8 now but It hasn't been long enough to say for sure.) I have not done the bucket and air stone with my tap water test though. I don't have an airpump so I haven't been able to. Tried to put a extra old filter on a container to try and do it that way but the filter didn't work..

Well yesterday I did a water change everything was pretty good (Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0 as usual and Nitrate was between a 20-40 was not close to 40 but was a little darker than 20) the only thing different I did was that I did a little bit of a larger change then a regular everyday because my nitrates where between 20-40 and I had not done one to see how it would go so I didn't do like a 15-20% but more of a 25-30% but not much bigger and I didn't think it would mess up the cycle to do a larger change..

Today (around 12) I went to do my test on schedule and noticed my fish were all stressed. Gills and mouth moving rapidly. They had never all been like that visibly stressed before except when I had a power outage issue. I was in the middle of my Nitrate test and I noticed it changing color right away...thought that was weird. It ended up turning BLOOD RED I mean above 80 maybe not quite as dark as the 160 but getting there. I was SHOCKED. I had never seen it that high ever. I thought I must have done it wrong, that high when I had changed it the day before??!?! Then my nitrite test turned purple it was easily a 2.0 or 5.0!! At this point I got my ammonia test ready and then did a large water change. I wasn't even half way thru adding the fresh water (with Amquel+ and Stress Coat) and my fish were already so much calmer. When I was done they where no longer breathing that way. My ammonia was 0 (glad for that), My PH tested 6.8.

I have NO idea what messed everything up?? I haven't added anything or taken anything out. I didn't use anything different. I used my reg water treatment of Amquel+ (which I let sit 5 min to make sure its ready). I always check that the temp is correct, I didn't have any soaps or lotions or anything on my hands or arms or anywhere.....What happened, what did I do? I can't test till tomorrow after 24 hours but will see what happens. I'm upset that something has obviously gone horribly wrong.

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hey FL girl, what do you have in your tank and how long has it been set up for? Actually if you put those things in your Aquarium info it will help people to come up with ideas that may help you.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ideally, your nitrates should be getting to around 20 (or less) in a week. What all fish do you have stocked in there? how thorough do you clean the substrate? If your bioload is too heavy, or there is a lot of stuff breaking down in the tank, then that would explain both the nitrite spike (bacteria attempting to catch up) and the consistent high nitrate readings.

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry, I have a 20 gallon tank with 4 zebra danios that have been in there just a little while shorter than the tanks been up. Which would be a little over 3 months. I haven't added any more fish or critters because I wanted to have at least 3 stable weeks first.

Iv been monitoring with testing & changing the water everyday, and I had consistently high nitrates in the last half of cycling but then they went down and stopped being high everyday (I was getting a 0-5 reading everyday) I haven't been having constantly high nitrates anymore till the outrageous reading today. They did go up faster than what they should be (20 or less in a week) especially since its not like I'm totally stocked or over stocked but that was the first time I tried not changing the water everyday and my tank is still new to being fully cycled. Its also a great improvement to what I was getting.... But a shock today as I expected very little nitrate & 0 nitrite like before since I had just changed it 24 hrs before. How could it go to nearly BloodRed nitrates in 24 hrs when the water was changed when it hasn't before??

I did a deeper gravel cleaning not to long ago and everyday Iv changed the water Iv been doing a pretty good gravel vac but not to the glass bottom. I haven't been over feeding. Should I do another deep gravel clean? I didn't want to over clean anything....

I have some live plants but they are not new. I have java fern. marimo moss ball and wisteria all doing very well not dying or anything.

Thing is it appeared things where more stable than before (the rate nitrates where rising was slowing down and I had had 0 Amm. and Nitrite 0 for awhile) than before and then wham today.

thanks

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Have you checked the nitrates in your tap water?

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes, I checked that in the beginning when I first got my API test kit. I have nitrates in my water which is why I use Amquel+. My nitrates never where that high or such a spike, even when I didn't use Amquel+ and didn't change the water everday.

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hmm, then sorry, I can't help you. I can't think of anything. as well

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FLGirl, if you are using the API test kit you need to really, really, really shake and pound bottle #2 before using. It contains crystals suspended in liquid, and the crystals tends to separate out of the liquid. So if you don't really abuse bottle #2 the crystals don't re-suspend in the liquid and you could get a false reading.

Also to address you question a few posts back, you want to vacuum well enough to get any debris left in the gravel out. Any debris in the gravel will just break down in ammonia then nitrite then nitrate. It would have the same effect on you water parameters as being overstocked.

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for helping and trying to help. I did shake it and bang but maybe not enough next day nitrate was 10 fish keeping is allotsometimes....I will just keep changing the water everday and testing. At least everyone is ok....I sid realize tonight that I should have changed my carbon insert a couple days ago do you think that it could mess it up? I got a new one and changed it. Thanks again everyone

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads