My tank to be

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by benjaminBreaker, Mar 22, 2010.

1. benjaminBreaker

benjaminBreaker Valued Member Member

So I have decided that the next tank I will go for will be an Asian themed tank. My plan is to get a 40 gallon tank, and only fill it about half way.(20 gallons) I'm doing this so I can keep live bamboo in there, but at the same time have a whole bunch of room. Anyway, I am going to get some nice natural looking river gravel, put in some awesome asian themed ornaments and build a waterfall out of granite that the filter will poor down onto and supply the waterfall.

It is going to look so awesome, but I'm having some trouble figuring out what to keep in it. At first, my plan was Chocolate Gouramis and Danios. But after doing some research, I found out that Chocolate Gouramis are extremely hard to take care of.
    So I'm not sure now...I still want the Danios to stay. I was thinking some regular Zebra Danios, and some Glofish. Maybe a few White Clouds. But what else could I put in there?

2. bassbonediva

bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

I am totally in love with leopard danios right now for some reason.

Maybe do a centerpiece fish like a honey, opaline, or gold gourami? Tetras (like neons, cardinals or Von Rios/flames) would look cool in there too.

3. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

If you're going for maximum footprint (and it sounds like you are, given the tank will be half full), look for a 40 breeder. The footprint is 36x18 and they are a joy to aquascape. ;)

4. H

Hyler New Member Member

This sounds like a really neat project. I would love to see photos of it once it's completed (or even in progress). Keep it up!

5. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

I love it when people think outside the box, errrr... tank. :party0031:

6. thequietman44

thequietman44 Valued Member Member

In keeping with the Asian theme, you might consider some Amano or cherry shrimp. I know I'm biased, but I think shrimp add a lot of life to the substrate level as well as being great cleaners. Depends on what else you put in there, but danios shouldn't bother the shrimp.

I like the suggestion of a centerpiece fish with lots of danios/tetras. Sounds like an awesome tank idea.

7. OP
    OP
    benjaminBreaker

benjaminBreaker Valued Member Member

Yeah, I thought a nice gourami would go well with the danios, because I planned on using a Chocolate Gourami(which are just amazing, BTW) but that isn't going to work out. I might try and get some other gouramis, but I'm really bummed about the chocolates...:(

As for the breeder tank, I was thinking about getting a 40 long. I can't wait to start this, I don't think I'll be able to get to work until I have enough money saved up,(I take about 10% - 20% out of each paycheck I get and put it towards my fish.)
    I may be heading up to Stone Mountain in Georgia with my family for my birthday. Harpua, have you ever been to Stone Mountain? It's just outside of ATL. I love it there, we always take the cable car to the top and hike back down. Then we go see a Braves game. GO BRAVES!
    Anyway, while I'm at Stone Mountain, I always grab a few chunks of granite to take home with me. FREE SOUVENIRS!(if you have seen my new 20 gallon tank, I have a chunk of granite in there that came from Stone Mountain a few years ago.:D)
    I'll build the waterfall out of that. Actually, Idk if can actually even build a "waterfall" out of it, I might just pile up rocks and let the water cascade down it...should look flippin' sweet... :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice