my tank: neverending frustration

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
As some of you know, my tank has been a huge mess since I started having my back problems. I lost a lot of fish, but the losses had tapered off, and in the last several weeks, I only lost 1 more fish (my last cory, how sad). I feel pretty sure that what killed them was poor water conditions, as I was unable to maintain the tank like I normally would.

However, during this process, I lost a guppy. I am pretty sure it was swim bladder. He became extremely bloated, swam funny. This morning, a second guppy was dead in my tank. He'd also become pregnant-looking, swimming funny... these deaths happened 2 months apart.

None of my other fish have died this way. And my last guppy is his normal, svelte self. Could the bloated, funny swimming be something other than swim bladder? And would it make sense that 2 of the guppies would die this way 2 months apart?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Disease is not my strong suit. Id say keep up the water quality, but if that's an issue than you need to rethink your stocking.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks Jaysee. I am not going to add anything to my tank at all until my back is healed more and strong enough to maintain the tank again, so maybe not for a couple of months.

I think I am a case of "those who can't do, teach."

Last edited:

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm sure you have already thought of this, but have you considered buying a Python? I could never do as many water changes as I do without mine. And, there's no back pain involved since you just have to open and shut a valve!

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I don't have a python, but my setup is similar to one. Water changes are easy. The reason I can't do them is because my tank is on a raised counter. There's no way for me to do the WCs without getting on a step stool. I am not allowed to do that yet (probably not for 2-3 months while I go through physical therapy).

But my water conditions are better... I am still overrun by diatoms, but I didn't have any ammonia or nitrites (20 nitrates). I am hoping that the fish losses are over.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My three male guppies died one at a time over several months as well, I did not notice anything unusual about them but I can't really remember. This is probably due to the heavy in breeding done on them
All my other fish were fine as well. Hope your luck changes with your tank and sorry about your back problem.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My three male guppies died one at a time over several months as well, I did not notice anything unusual about them but I can't really remember. This is probably due to the heavy in breeding done on them
All my other fish were fine as well. Hope your luck changes with your tank and sorry about your back problem.
Now that you mention it, I've had pretty terrible luck with guppies as well. Meenu, if you don't mind me asking, did your gups come from a chain store? My chain store fish always look fine for a few months and then die, seemingly without cause. After plenty of tries, I chalked it up to mass-produced, poor quality stock and gave up on chain store fish for good.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yeah, they are my only fish from a chain store. Everything else I've gotten from local stores.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
20 nitrate isn't enough to kill quality stock IMO. I really don't think there is anything you could have done to prevent this. Just try not to beat yourself up, ok? All you can do is your best.

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Good luck Meenu, I hope you start feeling better soon.

One time I compared Mollies at the big chain store and at the LFS and the difference was crazy. I had bought four Mollies prior at the big store, but two died in about a week. So that was the last of my big chain store experience.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good luck Meenu, I hope you start feeling better soon.

One time I compared Mollies at the big chain store and at the LFS and the difference was crazy. I had bought four Mollies prior at the big store, but two died in about a week. So that was the last of my big chain store experience.
I agree. My last chain store purchase was a group of platies. Most died. What a letdown... I have no trouble with fish that are considered more difficult to keep. I got some HUGE platies and some albino koi swordtails at a club meeting the other day, and the difference is like night and day!

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks for your support, guys... everyone here's been great.
I was just curious about the whole swim bladder thing, especially since I still have one of the guppies alive...

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Unfortunately the LFS here are all terrible, I have lost almost all my fish I have gotten from them and the people are really stupid. Petsmart here is actually fairly good, but the staff don't know anything. Well this is New Mexico what should I expect, everything here is backwards from the law to the people!
Hope you feel better Meenu :;bananad2

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My guppies die after a few months as well, no matter where i get them from.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have some tequila sunrise gups that are doing incredible so far. I got them from a private seller. My fem's are SUPER preggo, if only they would drop! LOL

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom