My Tank Maybe Infected With Gas Bubble Disease??

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Sandiwich, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Sandiwich

Sandiwich New Member Member

I went on a 4 day vacation last week and I had an autofeeder that feeds the tank every 8hr. When I came back.... most of my Golden Panda Mollies had tiny little air bubbles stuck to their fins, underbelly, and around their eyes. My silver hatchets had no signs of bubbles on them except for one. I decided to do a water change and that didn't work... At first I thought it was a sign of white spot/ ich disease but they are not scratching against the pebbles at the bottom. However I noticed one of the female mollies are laying eggs..... and no there are no snails in my tank, and my hatchets dont breed.. Are they agitated? :( Also, my mollies are only active when they are eating otherwise they will rest under the plants and stay there motionless. Is this gas bubble disease??

Fish in the Tank:
    • Golden Panda Mollies ( 2 female & 2 male)
    • Silver Hatchetfish ( 5 of them)

Tank:
    • Air Stone (which I instantly placed inside the tank)
    • Water Filter
    • 3 small pots of water plant
    • Small pebble flooring
    • Temperature controlling thingy (acts as heater)

What should I do.... should I increase aeration or no aeration?? I'm super confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

2. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

Are the air bubbles on the outside of their bodies? Or does it appear like it is popping up from inside? Any pictures?

3. OP
    OP
    Sandiwich

IMG_0858.JPG IMG_0859.JPG

They are outside the bodies, just tiny little bubbles stuck on their mucus. I just turned off my air stone, and only 3 of my mollies are actively moving except for 1 female molly. Fortunately after i turned off the air stone, there seems to be no more air bubbles on them..... but I'm still worried.

In the picture is my female molly resting near the floor and not moving for hours... and on the second picture I took pictures of the eggs and placed them in a breeder box.

4. AvalancheDave

AvalancheDave Well Known Member Member

If the bubbles are on the outside, it's fine. An airstone attached to an airpump can't supersaturate the water, as far as I know.

Gas bubble trauma in aquariums is usually due to a water change with cold water. You'll see numerous little bubbles forming on all the surfaces of the tank acting as nucleation sites.

5. yukondog

yukondog Well Known Member Member

Did you watch the molly laying the "egg's" if I'm not mistaken they have live fry

6. OP
    OP
    Sandiwich

Okay, thank you... there aren't any foam forming near the surface where the filter is pushing out the water.

Then what about the eggs? :/ Why are mollies laying eggs instead of giving birth to fries?

I saw one of the female mollies popping an egg while she was eating fish food...

7. GlamCrab

GlamCrab Well Known Member Member

She might have given birth way too early, livebearers actually keep the eggs inside them until they hatch and birth 'live' babies.

8. OP
    OP
    Sandiwich

Was the female molly stressed out? I haven't done anything to frighten them... so the eggs are likely not going to hatch right? :(

So if it's gas bubble disease... what kind of symptoms will show for the fish?

Also can fish sleep with the LED lights on? Maybe I stressed them out when I turn off the fish tank lights.... all of the fish starts bolting frantically and bumping into the walls.

9. GlamCrab

GlamCrab Well Known Member Member

Stress is one thing that would cause that :/ but im no molly expert..

And yeah.. They probably wont hatch

10. OP
    OP
    Sandiwich

Bummer... I was really looking forward for fries. :/

So I don't have gas bubble disease in my tank?

11. Lchi87

Lchi87 Moderator Moderator Member

Fry=baby fish
    Fries=something you eat :)

Unless there was a sudden change in temperature or pressure in your tank, I don't think you have gas bubble disease. In my experience, livebearers who undergo some sort of stress with give birth prematurely to "eggs" which will not hatch unfortunately. I once had a female swordtail get pinned under a rock while trying to find a place to drop her fry and in her panic to get free, dropped a whole lot of those premature eggs. I only got one viable baby out of that batch. Fortunately, livebearers are very prolific breeders so she'll have some babies for you again very soon. :)

12. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

My knowledge about GBD is pretty limited, but my understand is that it is internal. In the blood stream, so you will see bubbles under the surface of the skin. Looking more like blisters. Not just regular clear bubbles resting on the outside. I would say No they don't have GBD. They may be stressed from all sorts of reasons. Maybe just the fact that you are back and messing with them after being away. Fish are funny that way lol

13. OP
    OP
    Sandiwich

I'm glad to hear that. Thanks for anaswering my questions! I will continue to monitor my tank.

14. Tiny_Tanganyikans

Tiny_Tanganyikans Well Known Member Member

I want a fish that has fries. Fish n chips!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice