My tank is super smelly -.-

frogfan

I just ran a full water test on my 29 gallon ph is at 7.8 but I got s piece of drift wood today for the corys I am planing for so it will go down
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5 ppm but the tank smells like a poured a whole bottle.of prime into it I checked the prime bottle its not opened the filters are both running and there's only 6 guppies a new snail and a chichlid I just got today in the tank so why on earth does it stink ? Also 1 fish has clamped fin which because of the smell I assumed was because of ammonia but its not. These new fish and snail came from the same lfs I have gotten the guppies from and just came out of quarenteen at the store so they are healthy and the guppies are all healthy

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

AquaticBrandon

Can it possibly be the piece of driftwood? Where did you get it?

⛄️❄️

ppt

Is your tank having any algae growth or do you have any live plants

Sent from my SM-T211 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

frogfan

I haven't put the drift wood in yet and no algae or live plants but 1 filter does have ceramic rings instead of filter floss and carbon idk what state they are in have been active for around a month and there's a lot of drain moth eggs around the rI'm and on the hood

junebug

Bad smells usually mean bad bacteria. I find that whenever my tanks stink, it's something in the substrate. What is your substrate and how long has this tank been running?

frogfan

Sand with a little pink gravel for color tanks been running since 9/28

junebug

Is there any discoloration in the substrate?

frogfan

No and no air pockets I can see I just rearanged the deco and stired up the sand last week

Teishokue

Its your water. Do your water change. All that prime affects nitrate readings thus you get a low reading with high smell. Most aquariumsin that small are results of poor maintenance with high nitrate.

Jomolager

Do you use carbon? It usually controls the foul smells.

frogfan

Yeah I have carbon in 1 filter. My nitrates aren't high and I just did a 50% wc like a week ago because I hadn't done any while it cycled

Thunder_o_b

Try this. Cut the food at feeding time in half. After the fish finish eating do a 50% water change with a very good gravel vac. Do not feed for 2-3 days. Then smell the water. If it is much less smelly you have been over feeding. If it is the same there is another problem you must find.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Rtessy
Replies
Views
Momgoose56
Replies
Views
Corycat
Replies
Views