My tank is sick - please help if possible!

rmitchell41776

I am having issues with sludge/slime overgrowth buildup inside my tank, not over a short period of time either. This regrowth is happening within a week or two and grows so much that it almost completely clogs the intake motor of my filter, including everything else inside the filter. It grows on media, glass, and then mainly builds up in my filter. If my tank was a human I would say it had a sinus or respiratory infection. I will include images, the buildup that they show is within a week and had a complete cleanup the week prior.

I have tested Nitrite/Nitrate/ammonia levels and all fall within normal ranges on my test kit. I use Prime conditioner and do roughly a 25% water change every week and sometime bi-weekly. I initially thought that overfeeding may be a factor so I backed off food given, although I never believed that I was overfeeding.

I just added charcoal inside my filter, and added Aquavitro remediation bacteria as advised by my local store. I purchased a UV sterilizer but its currently off as the remediation treatment said to turn it off. I get there is things that buildup over time within the filter, but this is problematic. I upgraded to these filters in both my tanks roughly a handful of months ago and this never happened. Has anyone had an issue like this before and how did you treat it? Thank you for any help!

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    11.7 KB · Views: 8
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    9.6 KB · Views: 6
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    14.5 KB · Views: 6
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    20.4 KB · Views: 7
  • image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    15.1 KB · Views: 8
  • image6.jpeg
    image6.jpeg
    14.6 KB · Views: 9

carsonsgjs

Welcome to fishlore!

It looks like regular filter mulm to me to be honest. What size tank is it, what fish do you have and what filter is it? Looks like a Tidal based on the pictures. Do you have any pictures of the whole tank too?

CindiL

Hi, are you rinsing all the media out well in the changed out tank water each week? It does look like sludge that can build up. What size is your tank and what is stocked in it?

rmitchell41776

Welcome to fishlore!

It looks like regular filter mulm to me to be honest. What size tank is it, what fish do you have and what filter is it? Looks like a Tidal based on the pictures. Do you have any pictures of the whole tank too?
My 40gal tank is sparse - blue parrot cichlid, angelfish, and a couple latches (had some deaths). My 29gal tank has African cichlids, a catfish and an algae eater (sucker). I want to switch them out but need to get this under control. Both tanks do have the seachum Tidal filters.

I just did a big water change on my 40 today because it was in bad shape. Although it may appear relatively clean, the inside glass isn't nearly as clean as it usually is.
Hi, are you rinsing all the media out well in the changed out tank water each week? It does look like sludge that can build up. What size is your tank and what is stocked in it?
Hello, I am. Actually Im forced to because the slime buildup is happening so fast. If I let it go it gets out of control. Part of the issue is the buildup happens in my filter intake/motor and accumulates there before it even hits the media filter inside.

40gal - minimal fish - angel, blue parrot cichlid, couple loaches
29gal - African cichlids, some type of catfish (small), and a algae eater

Attachments

• tank1.jpeg
    tank1.jpeg
    32.9 KB · Views: 10
  • tank2.jpeg
    tank2.jpeg
    29.4 KB · Views: 10

OutsideFoodBlob

You may just need to use q tips to clean off the accumulation. There are a bunch of nooks and crannies, places for the mulm/sludge to get lodged with most filters. Even if you didn’t experience this with your last filters just know it’s common to get build up.

rmitchell41776

You may just need to use q tips to clean off the accumulation. There are a bunch of nooks and crannies, places for the mulm/sludge to get lodged with most filters. Even if you didn’t experience this with your last filters just know it’s common to get build up.
I appreciate your comment, although these filters aren't newly added. They did not do this before, I do agree muck will accumulate over time but this stuff builds up way too fast. If I let it go 2 weeks my intake motor will be almost completely blocked.

carsonsgjs

My 40gal tank is sparse - blue parrot cichlid, angelfish, and a couple latches (had some deaths). My 29gal tank has African cichlids, a catfish and an algae eater (sucker). I want to switch them out but need to get this under control. Both tanks do have the seachum Tidal filters.

I just did a big water change on my 40 today because it was in bad shape. Although it may appear relatively clean, the inside glass isn't nearly as clean as it usually is.

Hello, I am. Actually Im forced to because the slime buildup is happening so fast. If I let it go it gets out of control. Part of the issue is the buildup happens in my filter intake/motor and accumulates there before it even hits the media filter inside.

40gal - minimal fish - angel, blue parrot cichlid, couple loaches
29gal - African cichlids, some type of catfish (small), and a algae eater
You’ve got some fish with fairly heavy bioloads in there, particularly in the 29. Maybe try a prefilter on the intake? Seachem don’t do one (that I’m aware of) but you can diy one using some sponge and cable ties. Might help, might not.

OutsideFoodBlob

I appreciate your comment, although these filters aren't newly added. They did not do this before, I do agree muck will accumulate over time but this stuff builds up way too fast. If I let it go 2 weeks my intake motor will be almost completely blocked.
No worries. I think the focus here got mainly on your filter and missed that you are having this build up all over the tank. I think I read that right the build up is happening on glass and possibly other things in the tank. Is it wispy/mucus looking?

Hopefully your current course of action with the treatment plus uv sterilizer after will get things cleared up.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Aquaphobia
Replies
Views
KaitlynR
  • Question
Replies
Views
laurentrombly
Replies