My tank is falling apart...

Fish'd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Now, I'm at another house for certain reasons, so I don't have constant access to the tank. After checking back up on it, it's a mess.

It seems my tank has taken a turn for the worst. After a week's treatment of Melafix and observation, I finally had to put down Banner the guppy (and I hope I never have to do anything like it again).

Banner's eye was now nearly all black, and he seemed to swell even more. His black eye looked as though it was going to fall out of his head at any second. He also had fin rot.

My breeder box, who contained only Lefty the guppy fry when I left, now contained upwards of 30 babies. My dad was at a loss (he has been feeding and medicating my tank. I showed him how to do all of it) because he said that only the one fish was in there. My fry have never been able to squeeze into the gaps. Some of the fry also has fin rot.

I can't take my guppies back because they're in a diseased tank. There's far too many fry in there. The other magical fry probably won't be eaten at a quick enough rate, and I don't want to put them in my unaffected 3 gallon. The water is cloudy, but this could be because the water change is about 2 days late. However, the other people living in the household could have put something in my tank for spite.

Melafix doesn't seem to do anything... I'm confused on how to handle the situation. Please help me out! I don't want to lose any more of them. D:

Thanks!

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm really sorry about your fish.

It really concerns me that "other people living in the household could have put something in my tank for spite."
If that's the case, there's nothing we can do except suggest you get the fish and tank out of there.

Any idea what the readings are for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Fish'd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
@Lucy- We're working on it. <3 We plan on putting it in the living room temporarily, and then when a new room is fixed up, it may be moved there.

As for readings, it's Sunday and I won't be able to get them tested until tomorrow. I figure the best thing to do at the moment is a water change, but can I use the same equipment on both tanks? Should I wait until tomorrow for accurate readings?

@catsma_97504- Currently, my 20 gallon holds-
1 panda cory
1 bronze cory
2 kuhli loaches
2 adult guppies
3 2-month-old fry
Lefty the undersized 2-month-old guppy fry
And Lord knows how many guppy fry- I'd estimate ~50. A large number are in the breeder box (mysteriously... either someone has been fiddling with my tank, or my momma fish hopped in the box and hopped out), while around 15 of them are in the actual tank. The parents don't eat them like I thought they would. xD;

My 3 gallon has 2 guppy fry I accidentally missed when bagging them for the pet store.

Parameters will be tested tomorrow. ^^

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm with Lucy. It seems like it's a put-your-fingers-in-your-ears-close-your-eyes-and-say-lalalalala not listening-until-things-change kinda thing at this point.

Someone's not fessing up to putting fry in that breeder box. Why someone would've taken the time to net that many, I don't know. And why they wouldn't fess up, I also don't know.

Unless you keep carnivorous fish, there's no guarantee fry will get eaten. And adults seem to have less interest in eating fry with each subsequent drop.

The only thing you can do is a water change and hope for the best.

-Lisa

Fish'd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Kunsthure said:
I'm with Lucy. It seems like it's a put-your-fingers-in-your-ears-close-your-eyes-and-say-lalalalala not listening-until-things-change kinda thing at this point.

Someone's not fessing up to putting fry in that breeder box. Why someone would've taken the time to net that many, I don't know. And why they wouldn't fess up, I also don't know.

Unless you keep carnivorous fish, there's no guarantee fry will get eaten. And adults seem to have less interest in eating fry with each subsequent drop.

The only thing you can do is a water change and hope for the best.

-Lisa
I'm not going to lie; I'm not sure I understand the first paragraph. ^^;

I agree with the second, though. I just don't understand it. I have my suspicions, though...

I had no idea they lose interest. For the first day it was like all they wanted to hunt them down, but it seems like they don't care anymore.

Since it's late, I'll do a water change tomorrow, but I'll save some water and test parameters as well. I just hope they make it.

Thanks, everyone. <3

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom