My Tank Is Almost Cycled In 4 Days? Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by BettaBabies, Apr 17, 2018.

1. BettaBabies

BettaBabies New Member Member

I recently got a 5 gallon divided tank to put my bettas into. The gravel i put in it was from my well established 10 gallon tank. I turned the filter on my new 5 gallon on the 13th, and its the 17th. Also in those 4 days I added fish food every single day.

I just tested my water and got the following:
    Ammonia 0.25 ppm
    Nitrite 0.50 ppm
    Nitrate 5.0 ppm

I will continue to add fish food every day.

Will i be able to put my fish in this weekend? I want to put them in their tank this Saturday, the 21st, which will be 8 days after my cycle started.

I will test the water again this saturday before i decide officially to place them obviously. But did my tank cycle this quickly because of the gravel? And what are the exact nitrate levels i need to know my cycle is finished?

2. Bettafishies126

Bettafishies126 Valued Member Member

You need to have 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and anywhere below 40 to 80 nitrate but lower is better, this is when you'll be cycled for sure.

3. sfsamm

sfsamm Well Known Member Member

Be sure to do a large water change to get nitrAtes as low as possible before adding fish... Also be quite sure to remove all that fish food from the substrate as it'll keep making Ammonia while it's rotting away and that can take quite some time depending in food and quantity.

You're done cycling when you have 0 Ammonia and 0 nitrIte. NitrAtes can be anything above 0 I've had cycles run nitrAtes up over 120ppm and I've cycled with plants and hardly get any nitrAte readings at all so don't go by your nitrAtes number go by when you are not getting any Ammonia or nitrIte readings at all for several days. I'd normally suggest 24 hours but the fish food method is very uncontrollable and can easily spike while all the food is decaying.

Give it time, patience is key in this hobby.

4. OP
    OP
    BettaBabies

BettaBabies New Member Member

Thank you so much! Ill keep testing my water and waiting :)

5. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuy Well Known Member Member

Most importantly: Keep an eye out on your ammonia test readings. And live plants, and even a mild amount of algae WILL help accelerate your cycling process as well. The faster your tank is "alive" the better. But cycling takes steady patience, but it sounds like you're almost there!

6. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

When the ammonia and nitrites are at 0 and the nitrates are at 20 or less, I would wait for a week while moneitering parameters.

The week of waiting is to make sure that the cycle is intact and you didn’t get a false reading.

After the week, get a fish!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice