my tank is a little empty :/ 55 Gallon Tank 

penance

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have a 55 gallon freshwater tank and I think it feels a little empty since I lost some of my older fish

Currently I house

5 silver dollars (medium size)
6 black neon tetras
3 albino cory's
2 neon tetra
2 khulI loaches

I have a peaceful community tank and was hoping to get some opinions on what new fish I should house

Thanks a bunch

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I love Blood Red Parrots and plan to get a pair for my 55 gallon. They are peaceful and have amazing personality. You could probably house 2

crazedACD

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Blood red parrots are cichlids, and can definitely wreak havoc on any tank if you aren't properly prepared. I'd say they are more on the semI aggressive/aggressive side. I would not trust them with smaller fish like neons.

Some rainbowfish would look really nice . Or maybe an angel?

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree...the parrots might be a bit nawty for the smaller fish....if they can catch them that is....I like the angel suggestion but they also are a cichlid and can kill neons fast.....or maybe some gbr's and up your school of cories and kuhlis?

penance

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I thought angels were semI aggressive ? I would love to get a pair

crashEHC

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
How long have you had the SDs with the tetras? I currently have 3 SDs in my 55 gallon and was afraid that they might eat smaller fish like tetras. Have you run into any problems like that?

I've also heard that having an angel is a no go with SDs because of fin nipping tendencies. Don't quote me on it though.

I think a couple of GBRs would be awesome and am thinking about getting some myself.

finley37

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have 2 blood red parrot babies in my 55 gal tank along with 3 black skirt tetras, 2 mickey mouse platys, and 1 red wag tail..... the parrot fish seem to get along well with all the others.

JustinF

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would choose Rainbow fish because there are so many choices and they are hearty, peaceful, pretty, and come in all sizes. That's just my opinion though.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
crazedACD said:
Blood red parrots are cichlids, and can definitely wreak havoc on any tank if you aren't properly prepared. I'd say they are more on the semI aggressive/aggressive side. I would not trust them with smaller fish like neons.

Some rainbowfish would look really nice . Or maybe an angel?
Angels are cichlids too. I have had them in a tank with a school of cardinal tetras, and ended up with only 1 cardinal instead of a school

I agree. Some rainbows would be nice. maybe two boeseman's and two austrailian or turqoise for some variety.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads