My tank has a smell of Chlorine

1. AquariumNoob1988

AquariumNoob1988 Valued Member Member

Hi i just setup my 29 gallon tank and the water has a strong smell of chlorine i dosed it with a half a cap of prime should i dose it again? if now how long will it last? or will it even go away i worry i might have to take everything down and start the tank over again

2. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Did you clean anything with bleach beforehand? Does your tap water smell of chlorine? Do you have any fish in the tank? If not then I would just leave it to run overnight and check again in the morning.

3. OP
    OP
    AquariumNoob1988

i did not clearn anything with bleach and i have no fish in the tank and it doesnt smell from the tap i set it up around 4pm est is theyre anything i can do like leave the hood off or add more prime etc?

4. Aquaphobia

You can leave the hood off if you want. May help the chlorine to offgas. Adding more Prime won't hurt anything so you can try that, too.

What kind of a cycle are you going to be running?

5. Dark Storm

Dark Storm Valued Member Member

Where are you based? Apparently Yorkshire water have over dosed on chlorine in their water, and I know of at least one person who have lost fish

6. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

I have to ask how you know that your water was overdosed?

7. OP
    OP
    AquariumNoob1988

im based in westchester new york and @ Aqua im going to be running a fishless cycle using Dr Tims Nitro Bacteria and Dr Tims Amonia cloride along side with the API master test kit to monitor it through

8. Aquaphobia

In that case I would let it go. Dose with Prime daily, maybe let the new water sit out overnight if you have to, but keep it running. Unless someone comes along with better information;)

9. OP
    OP
    AquariumNoob1988

reason why i am worried is because when i go to smell my tank it smells like a swimming pool :/ should i put a dose of stress coat in to help as well?

10. Aquaphobia

I wouldn't, Stress Coat is basically Prime with aloe vera added. That's weird though that your tank should smell that strongly! I would leave it at least another 24 hours and smell it again after that. If it still smells then I would say that there's something wrong.

11. Dark Storm

Dark Storm Valued Member Member

Because the water smells strongly of Chlorine and the water board told them after the event

12. A

Alphonsus Well Known Member Member

Well if you want to be sure you should by water test kits for your aquarium and perhaps a chlorine tester if they have that. Do it 2 times just to be sure. You can also call your water company to ask. Best luck to you !

13. OP
    OP
    AquariumNoob1988

@ alpha so i woke up this morning and i can't seem to smell it anymore at least not like last night i did an amonia test just now because i read that Chloramine leaves amonia after it goes and the amonia test kit came up as 0 should i wait a lil longer to add the Dr Tims Nitrofying Bacteria and Dr Tims Amonia cloride to be on the safe side or is it safe to add it today?

14. Aquaphobia

If the test reads zero then I think you're safe. If you're still concerned there's no harm in waiting an extra day though. There's no rush on anything, this is supposed to be a relaxing hobby after all;)

15. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

If the chlorine was actually high, no one would know but the guys making the water. Chlorine smell in tap water means the chlorine level is actually quite low.