My swordtail's back is BROKEN. Can I save her??

NevenawithFish

Hello. . So unfortunately mypineapple swortail was sucked into the filter inthe middle of the night when I woke up and took her off I discovered shes alive.. I just got 3 new swordtail's a few days ago so I thought maybe it was a bad Petco batch. .. idk but anyway shes alive ! I put her in a quarantine floating tank so she doesnt get sucked back in, now shes injured.. is there anything I can do?? Or do u thinkshes just in pain. Please help i want her to be happy. Fins mouth and eyes all still moving. She eats a little still.

mrsP

If the fish eats, and can move fins (including tail) even a bit, don't give up! Keep water excellent, give her something soft to rest on (betta leaf or live plants) and feed with live food if at all possible, bit but often. You have now hospital situation. She needs all the help she can. Keep lights off, so she wouldn't stress, and definetly keep her separated from others. Her nerves in spine somewhere might be hurt, but if she can move even a bit, there's chanse. Oh, and I would also add indian almond leaf there for it's antimicrobial properties. Good luck!

mattgirl

Now that you have her in a hospital floating tank the next thing I would do is block filter so this can't happen again. There should be some kind of guard to prevent fish from being sucked into a filter. If there isn't one I would put something like a pre-filter sponge or simply a piece of netting over the area she got sucked into.

I agree with just giving her quiet time to see if she can go on to live a healthy life even if her little body is no longer straight.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ruby_cichlid
  • MissNoodle
  • Tetras
Replies
Views
Amazoniantanklvr
Replies
Views
Fishiekk