My Sunburst molly is attacking my guppie? WHY?

1. brandondgk91 Initiate Member

I have a 10 Gallon tank with 5 Glow tetras 2 corydoras an molly and a guppy! good lights lots of decor. I always see the Molly chasing and messing with the guppie like a bully??? also my tetras dont look very happy ... maybe to much decore?? im a beginer just need a little asistance!

2. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    Well, first of all you have some stocking issues, mollies get pretty big, and have very large bioloads with 30g being their min tank size, also cories need a min of 15g although bigger is better though.
    so I'd advise you to rehome them or upgrade to a bigger tank, but the good news is your guppies and glowlight tetras can stay.

3. brandondgk91 Initiate Member

Im saving up for a much bigger set up. this was my first tank. But until then do you think removing some of the decor would help them destress?

BTW thank you for your help!

4. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

No problem!
    no need to remove any decor, as long as there is some open space, it will help the other fish escape out of sight of the molly, and even if you get a new tank it will take a while to cycle it, so... might not be such a good idea, I'd return/ rehome them, then after you cycle your future tank, we can help you stock again.
    Btw what size tank are you planning on?

5. brandondgk91 Initiate Member

no bigger than a 75 but I do have big Ideas for a planted tank . Ive had this 10 gal going for almost 2 months and ive lost one guppie :/

6. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the forum :)

Depending on the sex of your molly and guppy, he/she could be trying to mate since the two species can cross breed. Either that or the molly is being aggressive because of the limited space.

Sorry to say but none of the fish you have except the guppy are appropriate for a 10g. The corys and tetras need to be in a group of 6+ but that would overstock your tank even more. Glad to hear you're upgrading though.

And sorry to hear about the guppy. Is the tank cycled?

7. brandondgk91 Initiate Member

yes it is but after adding the newer fish the ammonia spiked and i lost one! Like i mentioned im very novice

8. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

That's fine you'll get the hang of it soon...;)

9. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Hey, we are all novices once, so we understand.

BTW, welcome to FishLore!

10. Manjit Member Member

Welcome to fishlore...

Since your tank is overstocked... You can try to do is keep your mollie in a bucket for few hours and then again reintroduce it to the tank. Hope it helps.