My suggestion on what fish for a 10 gallon tank - and Thanks

1. Pike35 Initiate Member

Hi everyone, first off I wanted to thank you all for your valuable information that you all put up on this forum. About a month ago I thought I would do something fun and interesting with my daughter she's 2 1/2 years old and had a blast with me mixing all the new gravel together in a bowl, and pouring it in the tank, she loves her fish now, she feeds them with me twice a day and helps me test the water. Anyways its been a hard couple of weeks here because I didn't know what i needed to for setting up an aquarium and through the problems and trying to research forums like this for answers I came by this forum. Anyways my fish and tank are beautiful and am very pleased with the outcome, here's my setup for anyone that wants a great 10 gal community tank.

10 gallon tank with hood.
    Marineland Penguin 150 biowheel filter (for up to a 30gal tank) and a Topfin 25watt heater

1 red Betta (long full fins)
    3 silver Hatchet fish - (very unique and fun to watch fish!)
    8 Neon's
    1 Black Fin spotted Cory
    1 Hypostomus niceforoi

I will upload a picture of it tomorrow, and I know I'm exceeding on the how many fish in how many gallons but they all have their areas of the tank, the hatchet fish, which swim in close unison with each other flipping round and round, they like it from center to top of tank, the Betta has its own side of tank by the heater that he likes, the neon's have the whole bottom to center of tank, the catfish i think is my favorite he is constantly cleaning the plastic weeds off and the gravel as well, lumbers about from area to area, and the Hypostomus I cant even find him at times in the day, but at night he's hard at work on the glass, or a algae wafer. He and anyothers that outgrow this tank will be transfered into a 26 gallon I'm planning on getting. But the tank has plenty of room for everyone in there, I think its a great combo of fish to stock a 10 gallon or any size for that matter, anyways maybe someone will like the fish combo as well.

I do have a couple of questions that I would appreciate some words of advice on.

1. Would fluorescent bulbs be better visually and heatwise than the standard tank bulbs I have? (seems like they are whats heating my tank, the heater is on very low to keep temps right) ?
    2. Can you add more gravel to a setup tank and not cause another cycle ?
    3. Whats the best and easiest floating moss or plants, the hatchet fish would like that from what i read.?
    4. Also, do fish need some Light Out times? The hatchets really freakout when i turn off the hood lights, so I've just been keeping them on at all times, is this alright?

Well again thanks for all of you that contribute to this forum, I really learned alot.
    Pike

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Welcome to FishLore! It's great to have you with us!

1. Flourescent bulbs are definately better. If you have a WalMart set up, they sell flourescents that will fit your hood right there in the fishie section. Any live plants you add to your tank will also benefit from this type of lighting.

2. You can definately add more gravel if you need to without worrying about messing up your cycled tank. Keep in mind that a thicker layer of gravel also invites pockets of anaerobic bacteria which is a buildup of wast and nasties accumulated in the gravel. You will have to vacuum all the way down into the gravel to make sure these pockets are kept to a minimum. As long as these pockets are trapped in the gravel all is well, but if they make their way above the gravel, they can make your fish sick or kill them. Preventing them from even building up is the best way to go.

3. One of the easiest plants you can float is anacharis. It's usually very cheap. Butterfly can give you other ideas. I think watersprite is also a good one, but it needs more light.

4. Fish definately need lights out time. They can's close their eyes like we can. I don't think it hurts them to have the lights on 24/7, but it's probably better for them to have a more normal lighting situation. Maybe later on, you could experiment with lighting that has the blue actinic (did I spell that right?) lighting like they use in marine tanks.

3. vin Well Known Member Member

Your tank sounds really nice! Fish do need lights out time. They need to rest just like we do. One of the things you could do for the lighting situation is buy a simple lamp timer that you plug into the wall. The hatchets may not be freaking out so much as a result of the lights being off, but maybe at you coming over to the tank to shut them off?

I think that once you add a timer and they get used to the schedule of lights on/lights out, they'll be fine. I with too much light it stresses their system and they and the other fish get no rest. Optimal timing for having lights on is about 10-12 hours. Similar to that of a summer day.

4. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

1) definately fluorescent

3) Java Fern is really easy to keep, and I think you can leave it floating as well as anchored to driftwood. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong)

4) YES!! Fish gotta sleep too. Remember, tropical fish in the wild have a strict schedule of around 12 hours light, 12 hours dark. In the morning, first open the window(s), and then after a couple minutes turn on the light(s). This will give the fish some warning before you plug in the lights a few minutes later. At night, do the same thing in reverse. Turn it on manually like this for a while to get the fish used to lights-on, lights-off, and after that you could consider getting a light timer, which simply switches it on and off. They may freak out a little at first since they aren't used to it.

Also, I don't know how you cycled the 10 gal, but be sure to do a fishless cycle with the new tank. And once you have more room buy 2 more Cories (same species)--they like to have some friends. ;)

5. Pike35 Initiate Member

Yeah, I had this 10gal tank setting up without fish for 2 weeks, then I slowly added fish, which seemed to work out allright but the water wasn't the cleanest (cloudy, etc) because it wasn't fully cycled so with little knowledge of aquariums and fish stuff, I thought I'll buy a bigger and better filter system, got the marineland 150 with biowheel, and dumb me slapped it on to the tank and the only thing i kinda did right was placing the old filter bag from the whisper 5-15 I had into the new filter, but regretfully it sent my tank into a small cycle, that's when I found this forum and learned sooo much. And it took a few weeks of daily 30% water changes and testing the water twice a day, and various chems to keep the fish in good shape, levels never got way extreme. Now all is great, fish are happy and tank is crystall clear, the last few days my amonia, nitrite levels have fluctuated and readings have ranged from 0-2.0 on amonia, and 0-2.5 on nitrite, so I am still doing 30% water changes everyother day to keep those numbers lower, and I am waiting on vacuming the gravel until I get solid (0) readings on amnonia and nitrite. Is it odd that the tank is just picture perfect as far as cleaness and clearness goes and have those test readings??

I'm planning on buying a Sea Clear 26 gallon tank, its a half hexagon with a flat back, really cool looking tank, can check it out here...

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441808351&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302030056&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023693&bmUID=1141277383706&itemNo=35&Nao=24&In=Fish&N=2030056&Ne=2

I will do it all right with the next tank !! Thanks for you all teaching me, it's already an addiction - waking up (testing water and feeding), coming home after work at night (testing water and feeding) and my lil 2.5 yr old girl does everything with me, she feeds em all and calls the water testing kit "fishy colors" its been fun.

6. Pike35 Initiate Member

Oh yeah, I am now turning the lights off at night and have even rigged up one of those LED style blue night light to shine down in between the filter and top cover about an 1" width space, and have that on before I turn out the lights, the tank is still very dark, but once your eyes adjust you can look in the side of tank and it just gives them all just a tiny bit of light, kinda reminds me of how it would look to have the moon shine into the shallows of the rivers or lakes that these Hatchet Fish live in the wild. I just have lost 1 Hatchet fish to jumping outta tank and onto the little light baffles under the light bulbs of tank, well I didnt find him for a few minutes and he died so I'm not liking how these Hatchets get freaked out so bad when the tank lights go off, they settle down within a few seconds, but I'm afraid to lose another one to that sort of thing.

7. moon317 Initiate Member

Hey Pike,
    I am digging this fish stuff not so much for the fish, but because, like you I have a young child who is really enjoying all the "Prep work" (Gravel, testing the water chemistry, etc..) . Who would have thought that a few $2 fish would be so much fun! :)

Best of luck,
    Mike